Monday, October 7, 2013

Wild One

Friday’s potluck turned out into a grand affair!  We all met up at birthday girl’s house and enjoyed yummy food (pizza, cob salad, veggies… And lots of wine)! 
 The BFF Gang!
 Happy Birthday Sweetness!
 The foodies!
Even though birthday girl is a year younger than me, I have learned a great deal from her chumminess.  Compassion: When my brother died she would call me every couple of days and listen to me talk about my pain, she had just gotten out of the Air Force and we had corresponded some while she was away, but after my brother died she became my main confidant.  Generosity: When my ex-boyfriend and I called it quits, she was there to nurture my wounds and to distract me with a Texan vacation.  Tough Love: When I was an out-of control drunk (following these losses) she had a one-on-one intervention and put things into perspective.  Her courage to confront me and help me see the mess I was making of my life made me stop that behavior.  Loyalty & Sacrificial Love: When I had my mental breakdown she would visit me daily even though I would say really mean, disheveled things to her. She’s never left my side especially when I pushed her away she remained ever faithful…  Commitment: When I started therapy she went to my first appointments with me and just sat silently next to me…
 Photo with the kids!
Oh but, we’ve also had some pretty, wild, entertaining adventures!  From following a band to couch potato movie nights... When I am with her I can’t stop laughing  - our personalities just mesh really well (she’s a Bingley to my Darcy references from Pride & Predijudce ) or just an extrovert who can talk up a storm, while I lend an ear. 
 Later at the Bar...
She’s really special - though she’s a non-practicing Buddhist, she cheers me on in my pursuit towards holiness.  She’s been to services with me and started reading a book that is very dear to me (The Case for Christ), hopefully one of these days she will believe (smile).  Finally, though her ideas on sex are very different from mine, when I was contemplating having sex because I felt pressured she was the one who told me to wait until I had no doubts about my decision.  I guess she’s just too darn wise for her age – though she will never admit to it!
Best Friends Para Siempre!

God has really blessed me with quite a colorful bunch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment