Monday, October 14, 2013

My New Crush

When I hurt, I hurt in Spanish and Mexican Regional Music is my medicine.  I grew up, listening to Vicente Fernandez, Ramon Ayala, Flor Silvestre, Antonio Aguilar, Pedro Infante - the greats of Mexico.  As I have matured my fondness for banda, ranchera, mariachi, grupero and norteña music has only intensified.  When I need a good cry or am suffering from unrequitted love, mi musica en español es my go to.  It's just so gut wrenching and it really transmits those feelings of deep disappointment and just raw pain... (SMILE)   This past Friday my two best, childhood friends and I went to see Espinoza Paz in concert at the Nokia Theatre in LA.
Even Cartoons get it! 

My Best Friends from Childhood until now!

Mom bought me a CD of Paz's greatest hits and it was love at first listening (I am his newest fan)! Paz is an amazing, contemporary singer and composer of regional music, with such a neat, inspirational background.  He came to the states worked as a migrant worker and after working 12 hour shifts in the fields he would go home and write songs on his guitar.  Eventually, he got discovered and it seems like every song he writes hits number one.  He’s one of those gems that can sing and write his own lyrics.  I especially like him because even though he’s super famous, he continues to exude humility.
Anxiously waiting for the concert to begin!

I only started listening to his music in mid-September and I asked my concert loving friend to let me know when Paz was in town and he happened to be here Friday!  The concert only increased my admiration for him.  He gave such a great performance getting his fans involved throughout the show and the best part was that at the end he got down on his knees and took a bow towards the audience as if we were the important ones.  He also has a song that he composed for Mother Mary, so yeah he’s one of us Catholics.

Espinoza Paz
Concerts are best when shared, so having my two best friends join me was such a delight - like me they have a taste for Mexican music so we enjoyed it to the max! Singing along beside them being our silly selves made for quite an unforgettable experience.  We have many years of friendship (which is a major blessing) and coming together is always icing on the cake!

One of my Favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment