Thursday, October 24, 2013

Down Memory Lane

For the past five or so years I have done creative birthday celebrations… When my friends and I were "younger," wild and free we used to go clubbing for all of our birthday celebrations, but as we matured we started doing mellower activities like brunch or dinner.  While those activities are super fun - on my birthday I enjoy using my imagination and my beloved friends suffer through my creativity quite rapturously! 
Happy Birthday to me!

The first- non-clubbing year I cooked dinner and had my best friends over -I didn’t poison anyone so that was a major success!  After dinner, we headed to the South Coast Repertory for the most depressing play ever, Saturn Returns, which I absolutely loved (smile)!  At the time, I was coordinating volunteer events for Saint Francis Senior Home and the play fittingly hit the theme of abandonment and loneliness that our elderly suffer in this country- while highlighting the fullness of the protagonists’ youth…  It was such a bittersweet story that killed the party mood, but had me reflecting all night on some powerful themes.

My Cake decorated with roses from my daddy's garden!
Cheers!
The next year, I was super in love with God and I wanted to do something incredibly nice for all my bestest friends who stuck by my side all those years.  So, I rented a limo and we went down Penny’s memory lane.  The limo driver headed to places that hold great meaning to me and in each of the stops I celebrated one of my friends.  In addition, we had activities to do at each stop, like making bird feeders and hanging them on trees at Central Park to commemorate my love of nature, poetry readings at another location, taking a tour of the Christian Broadcasting Network, getting serenaded… Finally, ending the night with dinner at the fancy Orange Hill Restaurant.

Surrounded by angels!

Year three, I was addicted to the legal thriller Damages and my idea came from the show.  In the show, the lead Ellen Parsons lives dangerously trying to figure out the conspiracy surrounding her fiancés murder and as a protective measure learns to shoot a gun...  I think I got too engrossed in the show because I decided that learning to shoot a gun would be very beneficial to my safety (smile).  Again, my friends and I headed to the shooting range where thanks to my Veteran friend for passing the operating a gun test we were able to shoot guns! I am dangerous with a gun so watch out!

Inflicting Damage.
The Bad Girls!

Last year, I was heads-over-heels in love with the fascinators that the Duchess of Cambridge wears and decided a Mad Hatters Tea Party was in order and again my friends lovingly obliged.  We went to Queen’s Bakery and like classy English ladies we sipped on a variety of tea’s and lunched on yummy salads, finger sandwiches, scones and petit fours.

Styling girls!
Keeping it classy!

This year the theme is 80’s since I was born in the eighties and I feel like dancing.  A friend pointed out a great 80’s dive bar that plays English 80’s in one room and Spanish 80’s in another room- that sounds like heaven! And though my birthday is still a month away, I am already getting ready I found quite a few like totally fun accessories at a yard sale- that are like so radical (smile)!    

My finds can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment