Friday, October 25, 2013

Babies, Babies, Babies

This is a good size, they are no longer breakable in my opinion.

Recently I read an article about a widespread fear many women currently are suffering from: BABIES!  Now while many people might find this humorous, I mean seriously, how could people (especially women) be afraid of babies, as a recovering (yet not fully recovered) baby scaredy cat I must share my story…  One there’s the tiny factor - they are just too darn small!  I mean seriously how parents handle those fragile little critters is just astonishing.  I have nine nieces and nephews (8 thru friendship) and at each after birth hospital visit I get the worst case of nerves.  As the parents proudly hand over their creations to Tia Penny I get super tense and my mind repeats the same phrase continuously, “do not drop or break the baby!”  I am one that if need be I do confront my fears, thus, I came up with a fail-proof baby holding process: one sit down, two boppy pillow goes around my tummy, three parent hands over baby, four don’t move (smile).
My Goddaughter.

Yesterday, something marvelous happened!  My close friend had her first baby boy (on Wednesday) and I went to visit her at the hospital and she of course wanted to share her little miracle (I followed the steps to the baby holding process), but then she asked me to help her feed and burp him and guess what?! Her soothing voice and calming confidence helped me be more relaxed with her infant I even ventured out and talked to him! By and by I am becoming a natural. (SMILE) 


Boppy Pillows are awesome.

I am just so amazed how mothers change forever the moment they hold their babies an instinctual change happens and they become fearless protectors.  The wimpiest woman becomes the most courageous mother!

I have quite an impact on the little ones, I smile while he cries LOL!

I am really tense here!

Here’s a secret, when I adopted my doggie I purchased many dog training books and I apply some of the techniques that Dog Training for Dummies taught me with children.  I mean seriously raising a child requires similar skills to training a dog (no offense meant here). Both require you to be nice always even if they pee on the furniture, getting in the habit of giving commands creates a good balance, using their name for training minimizes confusion and teaches them their actual name, consistency in your actions and expectations helps built their self-esteem, socialize him/her is crucial, reward & praise correct behaviors...  I put a lot of these strategies to use when I taught preschool and several times I caught myself saying to the children, “good boy.” (smile)

I like to stand on the side while someone else holds the newborn.

In a perfect world, children would be born at the age of two when they are walking and starting to talk and hopefully potty trained!  But these are the views of someone who has never been pregnant nor held a baby that was of my own being.  I imagine that if I ever have biological children I will read actual baby books and learn skills that are meant for children in their developmental stages and my thoughts will mature on the subject.  But for now, I am proud of my slow progress and thankful for the trust that my friends and family have bestowed – though after reading this they might change their minds about Tia Penny (wink).    
 Looking good aunties for the second time this past year.
 Wednesday's newest addition
 This is a good size I think!





No comments:

Post a Comment