Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Love is a Verb

I recently read an article that stated that Americans spend over four hours a day watching television and another five in electronic activities (phones, tablets, internet, etc.).  I don’t own a TV, but on days when I have no energy I am guilty of watching Netflix for hours on my laptop.  Yet, no amount of TV watching will give me the high that volunteer work does.  I started volunteering at Saint Francis Senior Home back when a priest opened my eyes to the therapeutic benefits of volunteer work.  For over a year, I coordinated events for the senior home even my dog became a service dog!  He would go and perform for them or just dazzled the ladies in crazy holiday outfits his momma made him wear (smile).  The ladies at the senior center loved him so much that if I went without him, they would make me go back home and get him and he loved the attention. It was a win-win: he would wear them out and they would wear him out (smile).

 Carnival Day at Senior Home Dollar the Clown
I hand made this outfit!
Christmas wouldn't be complete without Santa Dog!

Then I worked for three years as the secretary of the Hispanic Council for Saint Barbara Parish.  This position helped me learn about how a parish is run and gave me a greater appreciation for our priests- they seriously do too much!  I enjoyed my time serving at the parish (even though I hate meetings and we had quite a few of those) we brought a lot of positive change to the community.  In between all this I also helped a grassroots effort to feed homeless that linger outside the Santa Ana Court House and ministered to women and children in a shelter in Tijuana, Mexico.  With Jovenes Para Cristo I also helped in the prayer ministry during various adult retreats. 

 After praying continually for three days for our retreat candidates, tired but happy!
Servants of God, Group Shot!

Currently, I began helping out with the Confirmation program at my parish.  On Saturday, I served at my first adolescent retreat and the thing about God is that usually one will sign up thinking, “I am going to go give it my all for Christ,” only to figure at the end of the evening that what one receives is much greater than any of one’s efforts offered.  I left the retreat with a cold, but my spiritually was rejuvenated and my spirit is still dancing in the aftermath.  To see fourteen-year-olds having their first encounter with God, to see the transformation that took place in the space of a few hours – these kids arrived with an indifferent spirit towards God and by the end something in their reflection changed, they couldn’t put it to words, but I saw it in their relax, joyful attitude.  My little small group did a 180 from the moment they arrived to the moment they went home. Wow, God is good!

 Having a delicious pasta dinner that our deacon prepared for us! 
Confirmation Year One Students & Leaders!


I lead a busy life, almost every night I’m either serving in a ministry or am getting formed in a study.  And I never have been happier!  I think part of the secret to happiness is loving your brother as yourself and love is a verb so put it to action!  

2 comments:

  1. It was a beautiful retreat indeed. You said everything so perfectly in this post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you were my partner in crime :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete