Monday, July 28, 2014

We Need to Keep Our Eyes and Ears Open

Pain pulled me away from my cradle Catholic faith, after years of praying for my dad to stop drinking and year after year seeing no improvement – thinking my prayers went unheard I began to pull away from all things God related.  Hope can be so painful.  After years of formal education and being presented only the secular side of the creation argument I pulled away further. Mind you - though only scientific theories - in my mind they had been presented as truths.  When my mother mentioned God I scoffed and adopted a sardonic attitude.  It hurt to reject God – but at the time it hurt more to be a teenager in a chaotic home.  Though I had been born into a Catholic family and by the age of seven I was a fully initiated Catholic- I don’t think I knew God until my adult conversion.  He had always been somewhat of a fairytale- beautiful, but lacking truth.  At times I made Him into a magician working His sorcery from somewhere faraway at other times He was a villain who enjoyed inflicting pain; but, the most common character was that of the ultimate punisher for all sins committed.  In fact, the first time I went into a confessional I thought that I would get a severe scolding from the priest for my sinful past.
After two years of protestant churches I arrived at Saint Barbara Parish and went inside the confessional thinking that the priest would kick me out for no longer belonging to the Catholic Church - that is after the priest yelled at me for my sins and asked me to recite a few Hail Marys.  The whole notion of confession by a priest seemed archaic and uncomfortable, but the expected rebuke from the priest was what I deserved.  As I knelt behind the screen window and repeated the words I had heard in many movies, “Forgive me father for I have sinned…” I began to mention my sins along with a bit of my spiritual background.  After I finished listing my transgressions the kind priest engaged me in conversation and cleared a lot of my misconceptions.  I waited for him to yell at me, but he never did nor did he ask me to recite prayers.  Instead he was extremely kind and when I didn’t know how to close the confession (with the Act of Contrition) he passed a copy of the prayer and we prayed it together.  I remember before I left I asked him if it was ok for me to come back to the Catholic Church for mass and to remain a bit in the parish to pray, and he laughed and said it was my home.  Since, I have returned to him many times for confession and now he pulls me inside the small confessional so that he can see me face-to-face.  We talk freely about my shortcomings and my sins- yet, he always makes me feel hopeful and never like the sinner that I am.  The penance he gives me is always more than reciting prayers- he points out areas that he wants me to work on (until we meet again) - always inviting me to become more like Christ.
There’s all kinds of misinterpretations about God and the Catholic faith.  As someone who confessed directly to God and now goes through an intermediary - I really enjoy and find more depth in having a priest hear my confession.  He helps and guides me in the name of God.  For many years I lived with erroneous beliefs about God and the Catholic faith, but in the years since my initial conversion God has removed the scales from my eyes, much like He did with Paul.  “My argument against God was that the universe seemed cruel and unjust.  But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line.  What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?”  While our society promotes and values education – in matters of faith ignorance is regularly accepted.  I had a really intelligent friend once tell me that he had been into the depths of outer space and not once had he seen a sign of God or of heaven.  He laughed thinking he had stumped me, but as God explains in many of His parables some will never see nor hear because they choose not to.  It’s like the dwarfs in The Last Battle choosing to live in darkness even though Aslan is beside them offering his light.  One must never travel far to find God He is in us and all around us (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment