Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Kingdom of God

My friend died last night- and I was left behind without telling him so many things that I waited too long to say and will forever remain unsaid.  As he left our young adult group last week I didn’t say good bye nor gave him a hug thinking he would be there at the next church function. Then last night as I sat at a brewery celebrating a birthday I got the news that he was at the hospital without a pulse.  I rushed to the emergency room hoping to say good bye to tell him that I loved him in Christ and that his life enriched mine.  That the note he gave me at the teen retreat motivated my conversion, that I enjoyed sharing a drink with him at Theology on Tap meetings- that I admired his kindness and close relationship to his mom and family.  I wanted to say those things that often go unsaid because I was afraid they would be taken the wrong way or maybe because I thought I had more time with him.  He was a good man, a good friend and a devoted Catholic…
Late last night, as I made my way into my bed I hugged (the only one awake at that time) my dog and held onto him enjoying his warmth and his reciprocating licks.  I begged God for more time with those I love, but I realize that I don’t need more time what I need is to make better use of my present.  My friend was in his mid-thirties and now he is no more in this world.  While knowing that he’s home- that he beat all of us there- it’s difficult to be left behind. 

He was a high school teacher - and teacher that he was, he continues to teach me that youth cannot be taken for granted.  That I need to live with passion.  That every day is a blessing and perhaps our last.  That the not knowing when we will be separated from our loved ones needs to motivate us to be better friends, brothers, sons, people of faith…  That life is a gift and we must never take it for granted.  I’m still in shock and have shed many tears- because as a person of faith I still hurt and follow the same grieving process – but I have hope in God and I know that my friend is happily and eternally home.     

No comments:

Post a Comment