Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Paz Y Bien

A Franciscan parish I found in Puerto Rico.

I was born in a home full of animals… My fondest memories include taking care of rabbits, chicks, goats, etc. in the small farm we found ourselves in Mexico.  My dad assigned me the duty of taking care of the offspring and many an hour were spent looking after my little friends.  To this day I am more natural, comfortable and truly me around animals, specifically dogs.  When I returned to the Catholic faith after spending a few years at an evangelical church (and many more as an agnostic) the whole notion of saints disturbed me- and maybe that’s why God gave me Saint Francis of Assisi as the saint that won my heart.  In a Jovenes para Cristo meeting, acoustic guitar was added to the “Prayer for Peace” and I remember hearing it for the first time and my whole soul rejoiced and I fell deeply in love with Saint Francis.  As I continued in my faithful path I learned some great stories about Saint Francis like the taming of the wolf and his ability to talk with animals and my admiration improved.  Though some stories are stuff of legend, the more I learned about him through Little Flowers of Saint Francis or Chesterton’s biography of my beloved saint my heart yearned to imitate his spirituality.  I yearned for simplicity, for the natural world and for humility.
Socializing at the dog park.
Future Lay Franciscan.

As years have passed since my introduction to Brother Francis, my connection to him has grown.  Every place that I have traveled I find a parish, monastery or just a happy statue or painting of him and I can’t help, but feel like he follows me (smile).  Through example, he has helped my relationship with God become more intimate and he's given me a look into the heart of our Creator that I love.  He’s taught me to enjoy a sunset, a cloudy day or my father’s flowers for I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these (smile). 


Though I don’t know much about the Catholic saints- only until recently have I started reading the lives of saints (because I am a Jesus nerd)- Saint Francis began my introduction into the exemplary lives of many who took the gospel and brought it to life without changing it simply making it completely their own.  And he’s a saint my heart favors (wink).  I admire the life change he made and his ability to give up everything for God.  A friend said that I shouldn't favor any of the saints, but I can't help to be drawn to this incredible man who left such a strong legacy in the name of Christ. Do you have a favorite saint?   
Taking a stroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment