Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Summer Nights

Catching the Sunset.

I always feel a little weird featuring events that I participate at my parish because I don’t want to appear like someone who attends these events with motives other than my desire to draw closer to God.  I relocated parishes a couple years ago and also moved from practicing my faith strictly in Spanish to serving in the English community.  After many non-Catholic friends kept asking me about my faith I decided that I needed to attend English services so that I could better guide them in their spiritual inquiries.  Thus, I changed parishes to one more near my house.  Every parish differs from one another by the leadership of the pastor.  At Saint Vincent de Paul, Father runs the parish in a manner that promotes community and he’s really involved in parish events.  Yesterday, I attended our annual parish bonfire and like always Father was in attendance and if he was not involved in a game of Cornhole he was making his rounds chatting with all his parishioners.  We are blessed to have a priest that is so involved in the social aspect of his ministry.
Great turnout.
A game of limbo, among other great activities.

The s'more line-up...

After working closely at my previous parish in the Hispanic Council, I got to work with many priests and I realize that they can become overwhelmed with their duties and tend to sacrifice the social aspect to take care of more pressing needs.  While I understand the importance of their work- it’s really nice to be in a parish where Father somehow rearranges everything to be present during moments of jovial communion.  After all the parish community is part of the priest’s family and strong families share laughs as well as tears.  Thus, I believe that priests that can attain that balance and allow time in their schedule for socialization are less likely to burnout. 
Relaxing with friends.
Last night was the first event where my friend who passed away was not in attendance and today I have my first Theology on Tap without him- and while the hope of the promise of the cross gives me peace - the pain and reality that he’s gone continues to solidify.  Services are this Friday and just thinking about it fills me with hurt.  I have taken that day off from work to allow myself to grieve and in doing so begin healing…  We missed him last night- it was tough for members of the young adult ministry to feel his absence – but this pain we feel only attests to the great man he was and the love he earned by being such a delightful believer and friend…

No comments:

Post a Comment