Thursday, August 4, 2016

Thrifty Thursday: A History of the Satin Smoking Slipper

This year the number three has been a very special number for me, my pup turned lucky thirteen (I joke with my friends that I am saving for his quinceaƱera) and my blog turned three.  Very fittingly I thought that for today’s post I would feature a pair of silk loafers which I paid a mere three bucks.  These pastel beauties remind me of the 1800’s, when silk slippers were the rage among nobility.  They were so delicate back then, that when women went to balls they would have to take more than one pair because the soles would wear out.  In regards to the shape they are reminiscent of the penny loafer which originated in the 1930’s becoming popular among men and women.  The simple, understated shape make these shoes both practical and a piece that survives fashion trends.  Yet, my Charles Phillip Shanghai Yasmine loafers resemble more the smoking loafer which gained resurgence popularity in the sixties.  While the smoking slipper was a man’s shoe in the 90’s they were adopted by women and in late years they have returned!  Some would argue that it’s an androgynous shoe- but when it’s made of silk and covered in all- shades-of-pink-butterfly-wings I beg to differ.  The Charles Phillip Shanghai are a quality shoe that incorporates beauty with comfort.  After their launch in 2010 they took over celebrity closets.  
While I paid three bucks for my thrifted pair, they sale for over 150 bucks and have been seen in the likes of Jessica Alba, Rhianna and Taylor Swift.  So, there you have it a brief shoe history lesson on yet another great old find of mine.  I don’t wear them very often because they are so light in color that I am afraid to get them dirty, but yesterday I decided to wear them while I pondered over three of my favorite verses in the bible (smile).  I mean one has to look good in the presence of God too (wink).
 “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” – Revelation 3:20

One of the greatest gifts given to us by God is our free will.  Though He gets a bad rap for being intolerant and controlling– God always gives us a choice to choose Him or not to.  He doesn’t want us through force for love never coerces, but patiently waits.  This verse is special to me because at the first retreat that I went to (as an agnostic) I got a postcard of these words in painting.  The priest explained to us how there’s no door knob on the side where Jesus knocks because it’s up to us to open the door.  It’s up to us to let him in.  I really liked that, because Christians were always so forceful with me and here Jesus was stating the opposite.   

Dollar and I enjoying a day outside, he's eating a treat.


“….And under His wings you make seek refuge…” Psalm 91:4

I love the imagery of this verse because when I was little and scared; I often wanted to be so small that I would fit in the breast pocket of my dad’s shirt until I grew strong under his protection.  Now as an adult God tells me that it’s ok to be weak for in my weakness His strength is glorified.  That I am never too old to need God and He will always extend His wings to protect me as a hen gathers her chicks
“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  - Romans 8:38-39

This one helped so much during the darkest moments in my life.  To know that nothing can separate us from our beloved gives us confidence and to know that we won’t be rejected no matter our shortcomings gives us courage.  It also gave me humility to accept that no matter my sins, the Sacrament of Confession will always wash me clean.  And God will always love me.

Of course – I have more than three favorite verses, but these are the ones that came to mind most quickly.  The thing about God’s word is that it’s so complete every time I pray using Lectio Divina the Spirit highlights different passages or words making His word always refreshing and new (smile).  I have many bibles, but this is the one that I use the most because it’s bilingual.  Though the English translation is not the best- I like that it fits my Spanish/English lifestyle.  What are some of your favorite verses? 

No comments:

Post a Comment