Monday, August 8, 2016

Directing Our Passions

I have been taking classes through my diocese to get my Master Catechist Certificate.  This month I began a four week class on intro to Catholic spiritual life.  I signed up for the class last fall when I enrolled in all my classes for the year and I didn’t realize that I would be going twice a week.  Though, last week we only had class on Tuesday because the instructor wasn’t able to attend Thursday night.  To be honest, I am thinking of dropping the class- I really don’t like it.  It’s the instructors first time teaching adults and she does very little teaching.  She formatted the classes so that the entire session is a sort of small group activity and I HATE group work.  I love lectures and learning facts – yet, in this class I am listening to personal testimonies for two plus hours.  This weekend I began reading the book assigned and at least the reading will be interesting.  I have been telling myself that I can suck it up for the next three weeks, so we'll see if I can muster the patience to make it to the end.  I was really spoiled with my first professor who I took my first two classes with (sigh)!  Am also bummed because the next two Thursdays were days that I had parish activities planned like visiting the door of mercy and attending our annual Angles baseball game.  Now with the class I will have to miss out.

The Master Catechist Certificate is a three year program in which students build a good foundation into the Catholic faith.  The classes required are a good mixture that give students a good introduction to various topics within our religion.  Since, I help with RCIA I figured it would be good for me to educate myself in a formal way and I am also hoping one day in the near future to work for the Catholic church.  In addition, I love to learn and so far the process has been really positive.  Yesterday, I read over the first chapters of The Holy Longing, in which I learned about how our spirituality drives us and how the saints learned to direct that energy in a way that built the kingdom.  It was interesting to learn more about this burning desire all living creatures have and how depending on how each channels it, it can build or disintegrate.  We all have a desire to be the best versions of ourselves, the secular world translates that to achieving power, wealth and fame - while the Catholic wants to be less of himself and more like Christ.  The book gives examples, like Janis Joplin who directed her passion towards sex, drugs, fame and this lead to an early death – her passion disintegrated.  On the other hand Mother Teresa used her passion to help the poor, the marginalized and to build the kingdom of God- this passion integrated, meaning it built up.  Mother Teresa used her passion to help others and the book argues that our passions must not only be directed in a way that keeps us integrated, but also in a way that help others.  From my own personal experience, I know that this longing inside me was only quenched by God.  No amounts of partying, alcohol or achieving titles & successes would satisfy.  It’s true when we serve others we not only get the biggest high, but service builds us up!  In a humble way we find meaning and purpose for our lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment