Thursday, August 11, 2016

Jesus Thrifty Freak

Yesterday, the members of my RCIA team and I met up to plan this upcoming year and I pulled out my Jesus sweater.  Due to the class that I am taking remained enrolled I have been reading a book and the last chapter I read discussed the topic of the incarnation…  Jesus plays such an instrumental role in my reversion to the Catholic faith.  After most of a lifetime wondering as an agnostic, I found Jesus (as Protestants would say).  Once, I heard a preacher share a story about a man who stayed home while all his family went to Christmas midnight service.  Outside it was pouring and from his warm living room he peered out and saw a pigeon caught in the rainstorm.  The man realized his barn’s door was shut and feeling pity for the bird he rushed out to open it so that the pigeon might find refuge.  As he swung the door open the pigeon fluttered in the opposite direction terrified.  At that moment the man wished he could become a bird so that he could tell the terrified pigeon in a common language that it was ok to trust him and follow him to safety.  While he thought of transforming himself into a bird, he realized that God had done that through Jesus.  Everything made sense through that experience and he got into his car to join his family in worship. 

I often think of this story because in a way by listening to this “perhaps made up tale” I too realized why God became flesh.  I had heard of Jesus growing up, in my family we watched many films about his life and my mom would always comment on his miracles while we watched.  When I attended protestant churches, he became my friend, but I still wondered why Jesus?  Yet, to me life without Jesus wouldn’t make sense. Though I can be a skeptic, when it comes to Jesus, I BELIEVE.  Often, I thank God for creating me after Jesus walked this earth because I love having someone I can relate to, someone who makes sense to me because he is human like me.  A human who experiences life through his senses, who has a tangible body, a historical person who affects the world so much that the world’s calendar is organized around his existence!  I always marvel at how our pre-Christ Jewish ancestors had such strong faith in God without Jesus. I just don’t think I could because Jesus is my converting ticket.  Knowing that the Creator entered into His master piece because He so loved the world and getting to feast on the Eucharist is what fuels my conversion.  Having Him tangibly, in more than His creation, but in the flesh is what excites and helps me die to self.  The incarnation to me makes God relational- real in the most intimate way. Jesus makes God physically present in the world now not only up in His heavenly palace.  This closeness is what inspires and propels me.  Blessed be God for giving us Jesus!   
I haven’t forgotten that it’s thrifty Thursday. In this post I am sporting my latest find a Stella & Dot Crosby Hobo bag which is currently on sale for $149 bucks and I found mine brand new for $14.99!  The bag comes in a neutral woven chevron pattern and is vegan leather - meaning no animals were harmed in the process of making it (smile).  It’s also really roomy making it an ideal piece for lugging around classroom materials.  Actress Holly Robinson Peete was spotted carrying the same purse, making this another celebrity find.

The inside has a fun print and a cute message.

No comments:

Post a Comment