Thursday, July 21, 2016

Thrifty Thursday: Modesty is Not Unkempt

Today’s feature deal is a pair of Free People Pember lace-up heels which retail for $198 and I got them for $6.99 which is more than ninety percent in savings!  These babies not only have the WOW factor, but the thick heel and soft leather makes them super comfortable.  The only problem for people like me who like to get ready quickly is that they take a few minutes to put on due to the intricate laces.  Yet, once on they are super cute and best of all don’t hurt my feet (smile).  In my research I found a British celebrity wearing the same pair.  Jenny Nelson is part of a pop group called Little Mix that won the UK version of The X Factor and she sported the same pair.  While she paired hers with a dress, I took a more casual approach…  Free People is a boho chic brand that I have loved for years they have really neat, original pieces that speak to my hippie soul; but, it’s also quite pricy - before thrifting I couldn’t justify spending so much money on their items.  It’s not often that I find things from this brand in my thrifting escapades and when I do, they generally are not my size so finding these was such a treat.  Though, I don’t wear heels as much as I used to, now I opt for cute flats.

As Seen On  Jenny Nelson
My feet in a way have gone through some changes in matters of style too, while I used to live in heels now my lifestyle calls for more casual wear.  After I gained weight I just didn’t feel comfortable in my skin to dress up like I used to and my pretty heels just sat gathering dust.  In addition, after my conversion I went from a girl who used to go clubbing every weekend to someone who would rather spend time involved in faith nourishing activities.  These past seven years have seen a lot of change due to my slow spiritual conversion and while the biggest change has been internal, what happens inside of me has slowly started showing in my public image.  As, I learned about modesty, humility and simplicity my choices in dress started to change.  At first I went from a girl who couldn’t leave the house without looking her best to a girl who no longer cared what she looked like.  I went from being always put together to a sloppy mess and I learned that sloppy wasn’t what the verse, “don’t be concerned about the outward beauty, of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry of beautiful clothes…”  Going from literally interpreting the bible to accepting that I need the church’s guidance for biblical interpretation helped me realize that modesty doesn’t mean to stop taking care of the physical self.  God loves us all and he made us physically beautiful so we should care for our bodies.  Dirty and unkempt doesn’t translate to holiness- just look at religious in their habits they are always positively put together.  I am always astounded, especially with the Dominicans who wear the white habits, how do they remain so spotless?  Every time I wear a white shirt it takes me less than ten minutes to get dirty. 
Found a monogram clutch for 4.99 with my initial!

Virtues are never an excuse to slack off, they actually help us to become better versions of ourselves.  Modesty has so many layers to explore, but it begins with an inner change that can be seen outwardly.    I slowly learned that looking unkempt is not what 1 Peter 3:3-4 is saying.  Anyway, while I don’t have as many occasions to wear heels anymore, I am trying to get more pairs that are casual for everyday life, these babies are just so.                  
Read the sign. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment