Monday, July 25, 2016

La Vie Est Belle: Summer Hat DIY

In 1997, one of my all-time favorite movies was released, “La Vie Est Belle,” a foreign film from Italy that took elements of drama and comedy to narrate the tragic life of Guido and his family during the holocaust.  The film begins portraying the love story between Guido (a Jewish book store owner) and his future wife Dora.  When Guido sees Dora he falls in love and employs all types of silliness to woo her - eventually winning her heart.  This comical personality is what carries the film, when his family is sent to a concentration camp in order to shield his son from camp atrocities Guido uses his imagination, he devices a game to protect his little one and to hide their true situation...  The film above all is a testimony of the power of love.  I remember watching it for the first time and after gaining my composure from the crying it provoked – I told everyone that I would like to find my Guido.  Despite his horrific circumstances Guido keeps a positive, humorous attitude; even though, he is imprisoned in a death camp, Guido never losses hope nor forsakes his role as a father and husband.  His actions often very silly express so much depth and give us a glimpse of real, unconditional love.  When I saw the film I just remembered thinking how much I hoped one day I would be loved like that.  Today, after my reversion into the Catholic Church, I want to learn to to love like that.  Anyway- if you haven’t seen the movie it’s absolutely worth the two hours you will spend walking in Guido’s footsteps.
The inspiration.
Process...
Final Product.

The reason I mention this film is because, I used the title for a weekend DIY hat project.  After reading a blog I follow and being introduced to the Eugenia Kim straw sunhat with sequins that spell, “do not disturb,” I knew I needed and I mean truly NEEDED that hat. BUT…  When I saw the $485 price tag, I questioned my actual need of said object.  While I had the willpower to say no to the purchase, words on a hat just wouldn’t leave this little brain.  So, after finding a sunhat at a yard sale for one dollar, my lightbulb went on and I thought why not just make my own.  After, disqualifying many quotes I settle for “La Vie est Belle.” I decided to use black ribbon instead of sequins and bought two rolls of it at Michael's Craft Store (both for a buck). I printed the words more for sizing and placement because I ended up using my own script.  I already had a needle with a big enough eye for the ribbon so total spent on this project was 2 bucks!  I stitched on the words and my hat turned out fabulous!  It also took less than two hours to complete.  This Sunday, I took it for a spin around the block and am so looking forward to using it a ton this summer and years to come.  
 Keeping cool in these high temps.
Yes, those are octopus earrings (from Betsey Johnson).
 J-Crew Bauble Necklace.
 The comfiest espadrille wedges by UGG.
 Keep cool friends.
The Limited Straw Bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment