Thursday, July 7, 2016

My Friends: Diamonds in the Rough

Last week, I spoke for quite some time with a friend I met on my second cruise who is high functioning autistic.  He calls me occasionally – usually when he’s having high anxiety and struggling with life.  I really enjoy talking to him because as a bipolar sufferer it’s great having someone who understands me (through experience) in that struggle.  Most recently he was appointed as an autism advocate by his state and called me to share his written testimony asking for some pointers.  While my buddy can be a handful, especially in social situations when he lacks the ability to pick up on cues (making communication quite challenging) and while sometimes he can talk without allowing the other person to say a word– I really admire his perseverance.  During the cruise I noticed a lot of people in our group didn’t have a whole lot of patience with him and that saddened me because we as Catholics need to be more patient and giving than the rest of the world. 

A few years ago, I decided to try out a closer parish by my house and to change to English ministry in an attempt to learn my faith in the vernacular.  As I began forming new relationships, I soon discovered that within the community there was this girl who people generally left out.  She’s since become a close friend of mine.  Once, I was organizing a birthday dinner for a new friend from the parish and I asked her who I should invite she gave me a list with everyone in the young adult group except for one girl.  Thinking she had forgotten to include her I asked my friend why Annie hadn’t been invited and she told me that Annie made everyone uncomfortable.  I was shocked that a leader in my parish would exclude a person just because that person is a little odd, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt because I didn’t know Annie.  Since, Annie and I have become great friends, I learned that she suffers from a learning disability and has a tendency to miss social cues.  Sometimes she can over share or be a bit gossipy, but I learned that she does so because she knows no better.  As I got to know her, I began orienting her and asking her to keep the things between us private and she did.  So, I realized that she wasn’t really a gossip she just needed a little direction and some patience.  When a teen got pregnant in our confirmation program the teen choose to confide in Annie and that was such a shock to so many leaders, but not to me because I know her.  Last Advent she led a woman’s bible group at her house and I was so proud of her, she’s really blossomed.  I’ve noticed that girls that used to reject her are now friendly with her (while that should have been always in a church community) it makes me happy that others are finally seeing the beauty of Annie.

After the Orlando shooting, Pope Francis endorsed the idea that Christians should apologize to the gay community, but from what I have seen, I think we need to apologize to everyone because sometimes we do fall short of following Jesus’ example.  When I arrived to this country and I didn’t know the language, when I lived crammed into a two-bedroom apartment, when I was molested, when I was diagnosed as bipolar, when I lost my brother to suicide I learned what it’s like to be different.  The suffering that comes with being different and in many cases rejected - gave me wisdom.  As the old cliché goes, “God uses all of our suffering for His good.”  My painful past gave me ability to see goodness in all people, and while I too struggle with my own failings, my own darkness and my own sin; I love to root for the marginalized, for the odd balls because I am one of them.           

1 comment: