Monday, July 18, 2016

Rosary a New Experience

This month, my parish launched a young adult program at my parish.  Every Sunday after the 5PM mass there will be some kind of gathering that will involve prayer, bible study, community service or a social night.  Since, our youth minister is in Rome on vacation with his wife, my friend was asked to lead the night and she invited me to come for moral support.  I was told that we would be praying the rosary at the Huntington Beach Pier, I love praying in nature so I immediately signed up.  What I found out when I arrived was that we would actually be praying the rosary walking down Main Street (a heavily trafficked pedestrian street).  We began the rosary and then started walking (among the beach crowd).  My friend prayed loudly so that all of us could follow as we walked down the street passing heavy packed stores, restaurants and bars.  At first I felt really uncomfortable and regretted having signed up for the event because people stared at us funny – even I, thought we might look like cult people.  Nevertheless, I was there and I couldn’t leave my friends hanging in silence so I joined, praying out loud and revealing the rosary I carried in my hands.  I have done pilgrimages where I have walked the streets and prayed the rosary usually following Jesus in the monstrance and have truly enjoyed them.  The difference this time was that our small group of seven - prayed in between crowds of secular people.  The experience felt protestant sort of like when one sees an “end of times” fanatic.
Such a beautiful sunset.

When we started, I kept thinking of Matthew 10:33, “But whoever denies me before men, I will also deny him before my Father in heaven.”  I had a terrible time concentrating because I was afraid someone was going to say something or that we would start some kind of protest, but towards the middle of the rosary I finally managed to enter into a spirit of prayer.  I am not ashamed of my religious beliefs or of expressing them, but prayer is something very intimate.  I don’t like using it to get attention.  This felt a little attention seeking.  Yet, as we walked Main Street and I became more comfortable I realized how much the world needs our prayer and witness of Jesus.  There were three people holding a giant peace sign and many stopped to take pictures of the sign.  At that moment I realized how we are all attracted to goodness and how much we (who know him) need to show the world a living Jesus.  However, for me this was not the best way.  Afterward, I asked how people felt about the experience and more than half were in agreement that it didn't feel authentic, but were happy to have tried it.  We live and we learn (smile).    

No comments:

Post a Comment