Monday, April 11, 2016

The Great Communicator

Penny for President!

I have a little bottle of holy water that I brought back from a parish in Italy (in front of my computer screen) when I need inspiration or my thoughts to be calmed I pray and place some on my forehead and temples.  There’s something so soothing in using sacramentals, in using the material to connect us with the spiritual.  Sometimes our thoughts (especially for us introverts) can get rather creative and overwhelming.  We tend to ponder and overthink things.  I fall victim to this all the time so I try to keep a little holy water around for emergencies…  Over the weekend I went to the Regan Library with a parish group- we carpooled up there and then explored on our own.  While going through the Reagan exhibit I noticed that our past president had an affinity for words, he kept a journal of his eight year term in office and also had countless notecards where he collected quotes that spoke to him.  Many of the quotes he used during his public speeches, earning him the title of “The Great Communicator.”  I found that amusing because I too love collecting quotes!  Reagan’s title also captured my attention because communication gives and helps us maintain peace.  In all our dealings, good communication helps build trust and for deep thinkers (like me) it helps us focus on the truth.  Sometimes I like to do things socially because we all need to be around other people who share our values as motivation in our spiritual life.  Like this outing helped me get in contact with a girl who is leading a chastity group and I think that would really be beneficial to me because I struggle with lust and I need to learn more about sexuality and our faith.  I always go to these events with the intention of increasing my spiritual life and gaining resources to help me in my faith journey.  It might come as a surprise, but I am actually quite shy and I tend to gravitate towards other women at these events.  The girl I met is also going to send me info to help in the John Kasich campaign (smile).
 Collection of Reagan's quote cards.
Reagan's journal.

On Sunday, during my RCIA class I gave a one-hour session on the topic of called to serve.  Going to the Reagan library gave me great examples to use during my lecture.  While going through the Vatican Exhibit (that the library is currently hosting) I learned the process of the construction of the Vatican.  I learned that it took centuries to complete the project and intense collaboration among many popes and some of the greatest artists of all time (Michelangelo, Raphael, and Bernini).  The story of the construction of the basilica (the concrete building) helped me illustrate how much we are all needed to build the Kingdom of God here and now.  We are each essential to spreading the message, God has a purpose for everyone and no assignment is second class service.  We are all part of the body of Christ and all members are needed for a complete, healthy body.  Am glad that I was able to visit the exhibit before giving my talk because what I learned while touring the museum I was able to apply to make my session more applicable to our lives now. I encourage you to go and support the exhibit.

Great images to contemplate, meditate & pray with.
 One of the beautiful mosaics in the exhibit.
These belonged to Pope Saint John Paul II
 Reliquary with bones that belonged to Saint Peter, Saint Paul and Saint Theresa of Avila.
This sculpture depicts the beheading of Saint Paul.

When God calls us to a life of service, He calls to a life of love.  We “act” as a reply to His great love for us.  In other words, I cannot say I love God and I believe in Him without expressing my faith through actions.  Our talk has to always match our walk.     

No comments:

Post a Comment