Friday, October 30, 2015

Solemnity of All Saint’s Day: Saint Joan of Arc

The Solemnity of All Saint’s Day is this Sunday.  Sometimes with all the hoopla of Halloween (October 31) and Dia de Los Muertos (November 2), Catholics forget that every year our church dedicates a day (November 1) to celebrating the lives of all the men and women who have attained heaven.  Generally the day is a Holy Day of Obligation, meaning that we must attend Mass to participate in this great festivity.  This year it falls on a Sunday, so Father is encouraging all the kids in our community to dress as saints, these children in costume will walk in procession during the beginning of our liturgical celebration. Also, tonight at my parish we hold our annual Fall Fest, in which the children in our community also come in costume (representing a saint of their devotion) and participate in games, a pizza dinner, yummy treats, crafts and a spooky critters presentation.  My nephew and I love going together every year. 
Anyway, as a way to commemorate all these festivities I usually choose a saint at the beginning of October and spend the entire month getting to know my saint.  This year I went with Saint Joan of Arc, only because I fell upon a novel that Mark Twain wrote about her (I usually like more feminine costumes, smile).  The novel happens to be Twain’s favorite amongst his works, he spent two years gathering information before he wrote it.  The book presents Saint Joan as a beautiful, innocent girl of seventeen who loves God and has such an intimate relationship with her Creator that she’s able to hear God’s voice.  There are many times when she gets lost in ecstasy in God’s presence.  The story goes, that one day while she’s out in the forest the Archangel Michael appears and shares with her God’s desire for her to defend France against the invading armies. After this encounter she leaves her small countryside village and heads out to comply with her God given mission.  After enduring a long, tiresome inquisition into her mental faculties the king and his court finally succeed and give her the army she has requested.  Her pure spirit is extremely contagious and she brings to faith many of the soldiers under her command.  Though she is illiterate and has never been taught in military strategy she leads her country to victory. And this is where I am in the novel. I know that she gets captured and sentenced to trial for heresy and cross-dressing and is eventually burned at the stake.

What I learned from Saint Joan…

Courage- She was a brave girl who said yes to God’s calling even though she was a simple, uneducated peasant girl.  She led an army, restored the confidence of her country and encouraged her soldiers to be men of God.  There’s this great story in which she meets “La Hire” a hardened and experience soldier who was notorious as the worst blasphemer in the army and she is able to reach his heart.  He becomes one of Joan’s greatest supporters.  With his help, Saint Joan brings morality and faith into the army camp banishing blasphemy, gambling, and prostitution insisting on regular participation of religious practices.  All these changes required a lot of courage on her part.
Obedience- Though she was very aware of her weaknesses in character, in position and just in her sex she honored God’s will for her life.  She left her family and all she knew in compliance with God’s will.  Her yes allowed God to work through her for the betterment of others.  And in obedience she gave up her life for her faith and for her mission.

Love- Though she was this great military leader she still was a girl with a soft heart who cared deeply about each person under her command.  She wanted everyone to experience the goodness of God.

Lately, I have been so busy with things that were not part of my plans, just life unexpected happening.  Things that brought me really down and made me afraid and unsure of so many things.  I lost my focus for a bit and hurt people through my own insecurities.  I am a doer and sometimes it’s really challenging for me to wait and be patient - to trust in the will of God and His plans for my life in peaceful inactivity.  I especially get fearful of inactivity when death reminds me of time and its merciless passing.  I am finally understanding that I need to work on not freaking out every time I attend a funeral.  That I should reflect on my life, but do it in a constructive manner.  Yes, death is always lurking by and yes we have no idea when our time is up; but I cannot allow these observations to send me in a fearful riot.  I am in God’s plan and in His time things will happen – I just need to learn to chill out (smile).  Yesterday, as I worked on my costume and reflected on Saint Joan I realized that God is also a doer and sometimes I need to let Him do and just relax - to trust in Him like Saint Joan, to have courage and faith in His plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment