Monday, October 5, 2015

Feast of Saint Francis & The Blessing of The Animals

“Companions nourish our heart, mind, soul and body.  They are people that we can celebrate the sharing of bread.  Perhaps the most touching stories in the Bible are about companionship: the Last Supper, the wedding of Cana, the sharing of loaves and fishes, and Jesus breaking bread with his disciples on the road to Emmaus.  Each incident of companionship with Jesus revealed more about his mercy, love, wisdom, suffering and hope…  Throughout history, other faithful companions have followed Jesus and the Apostles.  These saints and mystics have taken the journey from conversion, through suffering, to resurrection.  Just as they were inspired by holy people who went before them, so too can we take them as our companions as we walk on our spiritual journey.”  Praying with the saints is just that asking holy people to walk with us and intercede on our behalf.  God calls us to be prophets, priest and kings- to lead holy lives, and gives us a community to encourage, inspire and help us.  We simply cannot become saints on our own.  Every October I pray with my beloved Saint Francis of Assisi- I do a novena and I study his life.  Years ago when I returned to the Catholic Church, I was at a prayer meeting with Jovenes Para Cristo and the choir began singing “The Prayer of Saint Francis (The Peace Prayer)” and I remember that I began sobbing loudly, I felt this great healing taking place inside me and I heard the call of God – He was calling me to be His instrument.  Every word in the hymn felt so personal, so directed at me.  Later that night I learned that the prayer had been inspired by Saint Francis of Assisi and as popular as that saint is I had no idea who he was, but I felt a great connection to him.  I had fallen in love with him through song.  I finally understood the role of saints within the Catholic faith- they are our friends who walk with us to heaven, who intercede and inspire us.
Throughout the years, since my first encounter with God’s troubadour, I have built a great relationship with him, we are very chummy.  I feel like he accompanies me everywhere I go- when I travel and I find him in foreign countries my heart rejoices.  His order is responsible for the conversion of Mexico so as much as he is involved in my present he also has deep roots in my past.  I love the legends that surround his life, his connection to God’s creation, the simple values that he lived by and his commitment to God.  He challenges and inspires me.  I love knowing that he began his life wanting the things of the world like honor, prestige, and wealth.  He was a spoiled man, the life of the party who wasted his days in worldly pleasures- but has such a deep conversion that nothing but God will quench his thirst.  I understand his past because I too lived for the next party, but I LOVE (more) his conversion and the life that came after- that gives me hope.  I love the Franciscan spirituality: radical poverty, kinship with all people, oneness with nature, embrace the enemy, appreciation for suffering, for peace making, for joy and companionship.  Though I still have a great, great deal to grow in my spirituality Saint Francis inspires me.

Yesterday, was his feast day and parishes usually do the blessing of animals around his feast day so on Saturday I got to take my love, my doggy to get blessed.  There were around forty other critters at the blessing, mostly dogs so my dog had a fabulous time meeting new friends.  I really enjoyed the blessing this year because the deacon came around dog by dog and called our animals by name and blessed the dog and the owner!  Before the blessing he read the Genesis story of Adam naming all the animals so it was just so special and complete.  After the blessing when we arrived home my dog passed out in a peaceful slumber (smile).    

No comments:

Post a Comment