Wednesday, June 25, 2014

World Cup Fever

Every four years I put my bookish ways aside and give into the World Cup fever. Growing up soccer games brought my family together, specifically cheering for the Mexican team during the highly anticipated- long awaited event.  While soccer is not the biggest sport in the USA - all over the world it’s one of the most favored.  Even Pope Francis enjoys the sport and saw a great opportunity to send a video message to the world highlighting the positive values that the sport promotes. He went on to highlight the attitudes that soccer supports like training, fair play and honoring your opponent:

 “Let’s think about loyalty, perseverance, friendship, sharing solidarity. Certainly football awakens many values and attitudes that are not only important on the field but also in life, specifically when it comes to peace.  Athletics is a school of peace, it teaches us to build peace.”  

Soccer can create a spirit of solidarity and bring the many cultures of the world together.  In addition, the football-loving pope shared that “to win, we must overcome individualism, selfishness, all forms of racism, intolerance and manipulation of people. 

He also mentioned the importance of teamwork: “Being individualistic in soccer blocks the success of the entire team.  It’s the same with life.  If we are ‘individualistic’ and we ignore those around us, an entire society is harmed. Let nobody turn their back on society and feel excluded. No to segregation! No to racism!”

Last Sunday cheering for USA!
Celebrating Mexico's win- what a sensational game!

Strong words by our pontiff, but so true.  This worldwide event is a great place to show and express our brotherhood – we are one in Christ.  Enjoy cheering for your team during this month long event, but try to do it without pride, without arrogance, but with a spirit of humility and love for one another.  On Sunday we are all getting together to watch Mexico versus the Netherlands, and while I am rooting for my team I know that win or lose I am grateful for the joy this world cup has brought me and my loved ones.  I realize Mexico’s shortcomings, but I still love my green team win or lose go Mexico! And may God crown the winning team according to His will.    

May the best team win!

No comments:

Post a Comment