Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Honeymoon Suite

This past Saturday one of my best friends got married.  As we prepped for the wedding months ago the bride asked my friend and I if we would decorate the honeymoon suite for her & her husband to be.  Through giggles, two inexperienced girls thought about how to best prep the room for the first night of marriage.  My friend, Butterfly, and I spent a few days coming up with ideas and we decided on candles, rose petals, champagne and snacks.  On the day of the wedding Butterfly and I found sometime to sneak into the room and romantically decorate it.  Though we had to rush and only had a period of fifteen minutes to carefully place mementos throughout the room the finished product turned out simple yet extremely personal.  In the Catholic faith, we wait on sex until marriage;thus, we really wanted the room to be festive and a symbol of faithful purity.  I am not going to lie it’s hard to wait sometimes the hormones feel so strong that abstinence feels impossible especially when you are in a loving relationship with someone you are extremely attracted to.  Thus, am extremely proud of my friends who waited even after many years of courtship they are great examples of Catholics at their best.
The truth of the Spirit of Christ according to St. Paul is one of self-restraint- a Christian life is supposed to be fulfilling not necessarily fun.  Which means that there is no supernatural consolation for those of us who don’t get to have sex with whoever we want whenever we want- and there’s no “I am better than thou” because I have the discipline to wait.  It’s a matter of mature love and respect.  Love at its finest wants the best for the beloved and sacrifices it all (even one’s own life - as Jesus did).  Thus, when Christians think about sex they think about it as more than biological desires and as a supreme gift from God.  A gift so awesome that it needs to be protected and saved for the marriage bed.  It’s a matter of quality over quantity.  It’s meant to be great because it’s an act of pure love that brings life.

In my years, walking by faith I have come to value sex more and to really understand what God intended when he gave us such a magnificent gift.  A few years ago as my first friends started getting engaged and they proudly showed off their rings – I started to desire a special ring myself.  When I saw my friends in their beautiful, white wedding dress I too wanted to wear one someday too. Those symbols are unique and people celebrate and make such a big deal about them because they are saved for a really exceptional occasion.  They are material objects – yet society still places quite a strong, traditional value to both engagement rings and puffy dresses because they represent a bigger truth: the union of two people.  To Christians sex is the BIGGEST testimony of the union of two.  Thus, as society waits for the proper time for an engagement ring or wedding dress - Christians too wait for sex not only for the perfect mate, but for God’s blessing too (smile).  
The Honeymoon Suite Decorators

No comments:

Post a Comment