Monday, June 9, 2014

Passing On My Faith

On Sunday morning, my nephew had his second piano recital and beautifully played “Rainy Days are Special” by J. Bastien.  Late last year, his private piano teacher passed away and since then he has been attending a new music school.  This year he got to play from memory without the aid of music sheets!  As he started kindergarten (last year) I asked him what instrument he would like to learn to play and he choose the piano, since then I have been paying for his lessons.  Obviously I am very involved in his life because not only am I his auntie I am also his baptismal godmother.  I try to encourage his academic and extra-curricular activities- but what I am really concerned with is his spiritual development.  Thus, during the holidays together we do a lot of neat projects that promote spiritual growth and I try to teach him through example the beauty and unconditional love of God and the peace and guidance of my faith. 
The grand pianist playing his song!
With his fan club!

My sister is a believer and a cradle-Catholic – unfortunately she’s not super involved in her faith.  For some time now I have been working on trying to get her approval for Matthew to begin catechism.  At my parish we have a great weekly program for children that does a tremendous job presenting God in simple age appropriate ways.  Though I wanted my nephew to join as soon as he was old enough my sister insisted he wait until next year to begin his pre-first-communion catechesis.  Thus, I try to bring the faith to him as much as I can when I can on my own.  It’s been a difficult battle, but I pray for him daily and I know that God has great plans for my little man.  I also pray for my sister so that she will realize the importance of spirituality and becoming more unguarded about allowing my nephew to participate openly in church activities.
The performers getting a well deserved recognition.
INC Dress- thrifted $8.99; GAP Wedges $17.99; BGCB Sweater- Burlington Coat Factory 19.99; Piano Necklace-Yard Sale $1 & My fashionable nephew as the best arm candy! 


For Easter, my sister took my nephew to Mass and he told her he saw “real” angels.  My sister nonchalantly asked him where he had seen these mystical creatures and he said in the altar helping the priest.  She smiled and explained that they were altar boys, at which he replied that he would like to be one someday (smile).  

No comments:

Post a Comment