Wednesday, September 30, 2015

We Love Because He First Loved Us

We love because He first loved us.  When we understand that God loved us first, that God loves us perfectly and that God loves us forever- we learn a key lesson and that is that we are loveable.  Knowing that we are loveable makes us able to take risks to do things knowing that perhaps we might get rejected- it gives us the courage to be vulnerable.  A priest once asked a child why do you love your uncle and the little girl thought about it for a while before responding, “I love him because he loves me.”  The love of her uncle gave the child the power and reason to love him back.  Knowing that he loved her told her she was loveable and made her able to love back without worry about rejection.  Similarly when we realize that God loved us first and that He loves us now unconditionally and for all eternity we gain an understanding that we are loveable and this knowledge frees us to love others.  His love gives us the courage to love others even if we get rejected because at the end of the day we are still loved by God.  As we learn to be vulnerable to take risks it helps that when we do expose our vulnerability to another that he responds in an encouraging way.  This gives us the confidence that if I walk towards you, you will come to meet me.  It establishes a dynamic between two that where I go you will go and where you go I will go.  This encounter between the two (this active I will be with you) gives us the courage to continue reaching out towards the beloved.  This builds connection and deeper trust.  We were created for connection so when we start connecting with another it’s like heaven on earth.  When we reach out and know that our hand will be met by the beloved the foundation is laid and building begins to take place (smile).  Thanks for not leaving me hanging, for meeting me and giving me way more than I could possibly have imagined!  Slowly as we take risks and build connection we are freed to be authentic and to be ourselves knowing that we will be accepted.  The fears begin to diminish and the negative feelings of exposure will too fade.  God’s love gives us courage and frees us to love others knowing that no matter what happens we will never lose the love of God.  Similarly as we love another and he accepts and returns the love we are free to build together slowly something special, something worthy of the two of us.

It’s also important to give thanks and enjoy the present moment.  To thank God for helping the two of us come this far, for helping and guiding us.  I know that it’s not easy doing things in a public forum, but am glad that God has given us the courage to use the means He has given us. And I know that we will continue to grow behind the scenes soon. I am lost for words this morning, my mind is just so happy with all the gifts you have given me (SMILE). Thanks be to God and the archangels for their intercession.
        
*Some thoughts from Brother Nicholas Monco

No comments:

Post a Comment