Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Using Our Intellect in Loving God

Words have always been my weakness.  I remember when I was very young if I heard a good quote my skin would get covered in goosebumps.  Books became my security, my passage to hopeful lands away from the daily struggles that one faces in poverty.  To this day words excite, inspire and move me.  I think that’s why I love the Bible so much because they are God’s words to me!  Yet, sometimes I get really excited when I read books that I forget to cross reference the material that I read with God’s truth.  In these posts I think you have noticed that sometimes I write things in moments of high inspiration and sometimes after I have sat awhile really thinking things through and how they fit my personal faith and how they compare to God’s truth - I cringe at my posts.  But then I think this is a blog about my daily journey with God and the thoughts expressed today- tomorrow I hope will be more developed and more consistent with God’s truth.  Thus, whatever I write about here I am open for discussion- I am not one of those people that has to be “right” even when I am wrong.  Dialogue is important for our spiritual growth.  Anyway, on Saturday I spoke with a woman who was selling Catholic books at the conference and she talked to me a little about Richard Rohr.  She said that she only carried certain books of his because some of his more current books are a bit what she called “out-there.”  I was surprised to hear this especially because the first book of his I read I felt so moved by it.  Yet, at the same time I thought if a priest can be controversial and maybe even get things wrong in matters of faith that means that I really need to cross reference everything in light of God’s truth and be more vigilant about the things that excite me.
God created us to live in community for many reasons, but one big reason is because he wants us to work together at not allowing ourselves to be deceived.  He tells us straight out be vigilant, “watch out for the false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.” Am not saying that Richard Rohr is a false prophet, I still love his writing and his thoughts.  His book really has helped me a great deal and I plan on reading a few more of his writings.  The point I am trying to make is that before we get excited and act on the ideas of another we need to ask some questions.  How are these ideas representing God’s truth?  What does this say about my Christian faith?  Is this consistent with the teachings of the church?  God gave us intellect because He wanted us to use it.  He wanted us to choose Him knowingly through careful use of our freewill.  He gave us friends, family and church community so that together we would guide each other towards truth.  As much as I value my friends, family and church community I want and pray that God sends me a man firm in his faith so that he will help and guide me.  I am still such a novice to Catholic doctrine and tradition; thus, a good partner in crime would benefit me greatly (smile).  I want someone who will challenge me and help me grow with great love and patience.  I want someone who will guide me, especially when words inspire me in such powerful ways that I forget to cross reference them to God’s truth.  As strong as I might appear- I am really needy.  Needy in the sense that I can’t walk alone to heaven I need an army and hopefully a general that will lead the way.  I want a good Catholic man to help me strive for heaven while enjoying our earthly journey.   In the same way, I want to help my man get there too.  I might still be a babe learning to crawl in matters of faith, but that means that I have a long way to grow.

Deep faith and a committed life to God and the church is what attracts me to a man.  There’s nothing more stunning than God radiating in the life of a man.  And boy, you are hot!  I know that you might need to explain your jokes to me at first and might need to teach me a great deal on tradition, the saints, Catholic prayer among other things, but I hope you’re up for the challenge.  I will try to be a good student with a lot of questions and commentary that will also inspire your growth.  I’ve always pictured heaven as a university where we worship God through learning more and more about Him- it’s the nerd in me - can't help my love for learning (smile).   

No comments:

Post a Comment