Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Pope Francis Visits the USA

It’s so exciting having Pope Francis in our country! Last night when he arrived, I was just getting home from the pharmacy and was able to catch his US landing and I cried.  After having a troublesome last few days, dealing with insomnia and the insomnia causing me to feel on constant edge- it was such a blessing to catch the arrival of a man who exudes so much love and peace.  His happy face gave me so much hope it reminded me that God was with me, especially during my struggles.  I guess all this negative built up from the past few days needed to be released and I sat in front of my parents TV crying.  After a good cry I took some medication and fell asleep.  It was such a peaceful slumber and I think I would have slept right through to the next day had I not a commitment to the Alpha Bible Study at my parish.  Though I left the study early due to exhaustion, I was able to get a good night sleep and today I feel wonderful.
I have been catching up on the Pope’s visit throughout the day.  I was able to read his greeting this morning with President Obama.  To watch clips of the Papal parade.  It’s so uplifting to see America excited about our church leader’s visit!  The massive crowds and welcoming signs make it nice to be Catholic today.  People are curious about Pope Francis, about our Catholic faith and about God.  I hope that this momentum and curiosity continues to build up and enables people to open their hearts to God’s truth and love- those qualities people see and are so attracted in our Holy Father.  Also, may it inspire us Catholics to not have fear or shame in declaring that we belong to the Roman Catholic Church, that we are followers of the one true church.  That we stand with our faith in complete fidelity.
In the meeting with bishops.  I loved the piece in which he spoke of dialogue:

We must work at communicating with others in ways that create a safe, tolerant environment for others to voice their opinions without the fear that we as Christians will prosecute or condemn them.  We who know the love of God must show others that powerful love.  When we learn to be kind we give others a reason to listen to us.  Only after we listen and are listened to can we work together to change the issues that need change...  

Am looking forward to the Mass canonizing Blessed Junipero Serra later today, as well as the future engagements that our Pope will continue to attend these next few days!  What a great blessing to be able to witness such important moments in history- even if it’s from a seat at home.             

No comments:

Post a Comment