Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Another Converty-Pants Testimony

Last night I began a new program that our parish is doing to reach the unchurched and those who have walked away from the Catholic faith.  Father suggested that we all participate. Though I was not interested in joining because it’s a series of ten sessions covering very basic material, my friends motivated me to participate as a way to meet together once a week and grow in faith.  Thus, I joined to socialize with my friends, to get to know them more while exploring deep topics and to learn about the program since Father wants me to lead a group next January.  Each night is set-up in a very casual, welcoming way.  We begin by having dinner with our small group and just socializing.  Then a video is played followed by questions about faith.  In the video there was this small testimony a man gave and it really moved me…  Sometime ago I read a post on my friend’s blog about seven types of Catholic nerds and if I can take the liberty of labeling myself I think I am the Converty-Pants Geek.  Our conversion story has power.  Inspired by last night I want to share today why I left the Catholic faith.
Parroquia San Juan Bautista en mi Pueblo 

I grew up in a very deep Catholic environment, by the time I was seven I was fully initiated into the church having received all of my Sacraments of Initiation.  Our town in Mexico moved along with the liturgical year and together as a town we celebrated the big celebrations of the church year round.  I went to church every Sunday and sometimes during the week too.  Life has simple and happy.  When my family moved to California we still went to our local parish for dominical Mass.  Yet, as I left the childhood years and entered the challenging years of adolescence I began finding my church attendance meaningless.  Problems at home made me begin to question my faith.  In Mexico, we were pretty well off, we owned our home and I had my own bedroom while in California we shared a two bedroom apartment with my uncle and his family.  At one point, there were eighteen of us living in such small quarters.  My dad and uncle were alcoholics and every weekend they would get really drunk.  Alcohol would make my uncle crazy and at least once a month he would beat my aunt.  My dad would be too drunk to help separate the fights and I would have to intervene.  This meant sometimes receiving some of the blows.  The turmoil at home and the poverty in which we lived made my life very hard.  The beatings became my routine for years and slowly I began to lash out to the only one that I could- God.  I hated Him for not answering my prayers, for not healing my dad from alcoholism, for allowing the violence to occur.  One Sunday, I told my mom that I would no longer be going to church anymore- I must have been around twelve years old.  Too weak to argue she consented. Then one night, I arrived from a school dance and opened the front door to find glass shattered everywhere.  The next morning I was to learn that my dad had tried committing suicide.  That night I killed God out of my life.  I hated Him, to hope in Him was too painful and I gave in to bitterness and resentment.  Anger became my fuel and I didn’t want anything to do with a God who never intervened in my wretched life anyway. 
Men have always been attracted to me, even when I was a small child and several times I experience things that children should not experience.  Though I was never raped, the trauma was enough to leave me broken and ashamed.  Three different men at three different times in my life molested me.  This too would be another huge barrier between God and me.  Where had He been during these traumatic moments? Why had He allowed it to happen?  Fury entered into my heart and revenge motivated me.  I wanted to grow up and be powerful enough to avenge the damage that these men inflicted in me.  I hated all men, and I vowed never to get married.
By the time I left High School, God was just someone who if I needed a punching bag I would use.  I hated Him so much.  I hated the pain hope gave me and I was too weak and too angry to ever rely on faith.  I found solace in the writings of Nietzsche and others like him.  The further I walked away from God, the stronger I felt; but also the unhappier and the more bitter that my heart became.  I suffered from severe untreated depression.  My life was meaningless and I often thought of suicide.  I hated myself, I hated men, I hated my dad, I hated life and God above all.  Then I began to abuse alcohol and to party to wee hours of the morning.  Alcohol relieved the unhappiness temporarily, but in the mornings I would feel so ashamed of my drunken behavior.  Soon I was drinking from Thursday through Sunday- just staying sober to attend college classes and to complete homework assignments.  I began drinking and driving.  Life didn’t matter, I didn’t matter we were all going to die anyway- complete hopelessness consumed my heart… 
Then my brother committed suicide and defeated I ran to God.  Not for myself, but for my brother I needed to believe in life after death for my brother’s sake.  I couldn’t accept that after suffering from Schizophrenia he would just disappear into oblivion… Nietzsche couldn't be right! Suffering had to have meaning and serve a greater purpose.  On November 16th 2004, in an Emergency Hospital parking lot God came into my heart with a force that would change the course of my life forever.  When I called to Him, He responded the trees shook and my heart was consumed with a peace so profound. God was with me I knew it. I mattered, my brother mattered our lives mattered to Him.  On that day in true protestant form I gave myself and life to God. I told Him to come in and repair the brokenness, to come in and heal the hurt to come in and give me strength.  And poco a poco He has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment