Monday, September 28, 2015

Siempre Adelante with God

When I began reading scripture, specifically the Book of Exodus I often wondered how people lost faith in God even after He showed them so many miraculous signs.  In the desert they grumbled and even turned against God, at one point they wanted to be back as slaves instead of wandering towards the Promised Land.  As I began applying the word of God to my life I began to understand a little better why the chosen people grumbled- I too found myself repeatedly doubting and complaining when I felt God had deserted me or wasn’t listening.  The act of remembering is difficult to adapt when we are going through struggles.  To remember what God has done for us in the past, how He has delivered us before, and to remain strong in adversity relying on God’s promises takes a lot of faith.  To place our trust on God even during the greatest tempest requires supernatural faith.  Remembering what He has done in the past for us needs to give us courage during difficult moments.  Knowing our Biblical history strengthens our faith and our trust in God grows as we get to know Him better.  Similarly, in our human relationships we need to adapt this tool of remembering.  As trust between two grows there will be trials that will challenge the relationship- but during these moments of doubt we need to remember that we are both on the same team working towards the same goal.  We need to remember to trust God as He guides us and to have faith in each other based on the past displays of mutual self-giving.

The road towards building stronger trust among two is hard!  Especially at the beginning when we feel like we are on opposing teams.  Yet, if we want things to work out we need to develop the habit of seeing each other as teammates.  This is quite difficult.  Though I try to have faith and trust in my friend sometimes I get scared and insecure too.  It doesn’t help that I am an introvert and we introverts love to overthink things- sometimes we think about things so much that we create problems that were never there to begin with.  I wrote something on a friend’s wall the other day and I started thinking that maybe it sounded really inappropriate, like I was endorsing drinking and partying so I deleted the comment.  This brought hurt to my friend and only afterwards did I realize that my over analyzing got the best of me.  Sometimes when we are opening up ourselves and our lives to another there’s this great fear that I will mess up and lose the affections of my beloved.  This fear of loss due to a wrong step can bring a lot of insecurity. Yet, I learned (from this experience) that in a friendship or any relationship where there is some form of love there too will be acceptance even when we mess up.  If I look back at our friendship, and remember the things that we have overcome I gain confidence in us, but if I focus on the fear and insecurities then instead of building I am tearing down.  Our faith teaches us the importance of remembering, everyday during Mass we remember and participate in our Salvation Story.  Thus, I need to remember constantly that you and I are chums and chums are on the same team working towards the same purpose.  Sometimes, like our peeps in Exodus I will forget and grumble- just please be patient and kind with me.  Am so happy with our growth and looking forward to what’s to come. ¡Siempre adelante!

No comments:

Post a Comment