Monday, September 21, 2015

Forgiveness is the Final Form of Love

The death of my brother brought many blessings into my life, a protestant pastor once told me that perhaps God used my brother's death to save my soul (that thought makes me very happy).  My brother brought the reconciliation between God and I (smile)…  The last post I wrote might make some people who I love in my life appear like tyrants; thus, today I want to speak of forgiveness.  The death of my brother propelled my small family unit to evaluate our life, our choices and to make changes.  In January of 2005, I went on a retreat with an old Catholic Church group and there I was able to forgive all those people who had hurt me and to begin healing.  My dad has been alcohol free for over twenty-years now.  He has always been a man who even with his addictions worked hard to provide for his family and since his recovery he has made my mom and our family his priority.  We are very close.  It took me years to forgive him, but the death of my brother caused my heart to break and the hurt tore my pride and shortly with God’s grace and the power of a forgetful mind we mended our relationship.  We own our own home now and my uncle comes to visit often and I enjoy having him over because I love him and have also forgiven him.  In the Mexican culture we don’t dispose of people no matter how much they hurt us, family is for life whether we like it or not – and while that mentality can sometimes feel like a curse it’s also very Christian.
The three men who molested me were a little harder to forgive (one was a neighbor and the other two cousins).  The abuse affected me in such a huge way.  So much that I couldn’t be alone in a room with a male.  I remember when I had male professors and on rare occasions where I found myself alone in the classroom with one I would always need to be near an open door.  Growing up I didn’t date nor desired male friendships.  To this day I am very inexperience with opposite sex.  I don’t have the easiness of conversing with men that I do with women and I don’t really let just anyone in.  It took quite a lot of years to heal and to lose my fear of men but slowly I have overcome it.  Though I forgave the men who molested me, I cut ties and I try not to see them.  On rare occasions when I do it still hurts, especially because I never told anyone about the abuse.  But Father told me that forgiveness doesn’t mean that I have to have them in my life and be best friends, he said it just means being at peace and releasing the hate and hurt.  I learned that holding on to hate and a desire for revenge really was causing me great harm and slowly I gave it to God.  He has patiently healed me and given me the grace to forgive.  Though sometimes when I think about them unaffected by their actions towards me, I still feel anger and hurt, God helps me to forgive again.  Sometimes forgiveness can appear like we are letting others off the hook, yet I have come to realize that forgiveness is as much for me as it is for the other.  When I forgive: I choose peace in my heart, I choose to no longer allow the hurt to affect me, I release my burden to the mercy of God and giving it to God for His judgement opens me up for His constant healing.  It’s an exchange of the negative so that I am emptied for God to fill me with His goodness.  It’s growing in God’s perfect love.   

Forgiving myself has also been difficult.  Especially because abuse victims usually feel a great deal of shame and responsibility for the abuse.  I used to avoid mirrors because I thought I was really ugly.  My insecurities led me to develop a perfectionist mentality and I was really hard on myself when I failed to be perfect.  This too was an area that I had to give to God to tear down and rebuild.  With time, He helped clear the self-distortions and today I love my reflection especially my inner self.  Am glad that out of all the mess that I was God was able to create a heart who is more patient with my and others' failings, and more empathetic and understanding.  God didn’t waste one once of my suffering, but used it all to rebuild a woman that I am proud of.  I am not saying I am perfect, but I am so at peace and happy - this goodness and healing that God gave me allows me to better serve Him.  Through my past hurts I am able to relate more profoundly with others and to offer a little hope because I have seen the darkness (even been consumed in darkness); but God’s light penetrated through and freed me to a life worth living.  A life with meaning and purpose all in God’s most Holy Name. Amen!    

No comments:

Post a Comment