Monday, May 11, 2015

Ramblings from the Corazon

The Apostle Peter was known to run his mouth.  He was extremely vocal and usually his tongue got him in trouble, while perhaps taming his tongue was a weakness of his, I am especially drawn to him because of this character flaw.  Often in my own life I have said things that were instant regrets.  In writing, I get a little more time to choose my words, but even then I am not saved from mistakes and misunderstandings…  Yet, Saint Peter grew to become a better communicator because he had the humility to accept his errors and the will to correct them.  I love the account of Jesus asking Peter if he loved Him after Peter denied Jesus three times. “Peter, do you love me?”  The denial of Peter is followed by his restoration (SMILE). Jesus invites us to be forgiving, even when others hurt and betray us.  Forgiveness allows us to grow individually, but also gives us the power to heal relationships and grow in love and trust.
Sometimes my lack of patience gets the better of me and it is during these restless times that I often fall into the temptation of running my mouth and expressing my frustrations.  I think in a matter of two communication is vital and at first in the process of learning how each of you communicates leads to a lot of misunderstandings and even hurt feelings.  However, as you get to know each other more deeply you learn the ways of each person and slowly those frustrations minimize.  I am learning to see the subtle ways in which a friend is expressing his affection and learning to accept that his way of communicating varies from my more bold style, but that doesn’t mean his attempts weigh any less.  Introverts have their own language and sometimes it’s so understated that it gets missed.  I guess that speaking too freely can get you in trouble just as speaking too little can also communicate a lack of interest…

Plants and animals come into this world with instructions engrained in every fiber of their being and they are able to live according to their given purpose.  A Daisy will never try to be a Rose- it knows instinctively that it’s made to glorify God as a Daisy.  Yet, we humans are a bit confused, especially the more educated that we become, that’s why Jesus choose simple folk as his close friends because he knew that humble people are malleable.  I often get lost in my head overthinking and overanalyzing and my energy is wasted trying to make sense of things instead of simply living true to my purpose.  We are vessels made to receive and give love.  God supplies us with constant love and our mission is to receive and give it away – to not keep any for ourselves (receive and give).  Yet, I find myself at times unsatisfied yearning to receive and keep the love from my beloved.  Or measuring how much love I have given another and how little I feel I received in return from that person.  That’s where many of us find ourselves measuring the love we give with the love that we receive.  Yet, in yesterday’s Gospel reading God reminds us to love as He first loved us- and if we study the life of Jesus there’s no doubt that He loved us without expecting anything in return, knowing that His Father would fill Him up.  People who love with such freedom will hurt the most, but will also experience union with God the Father who is LOVE.  For love is more than a feeling or an action - it is God!    

No comments:

Post a Comment