Thursday, May 28, 2015

Don't Rush Love

Yesterday, I listened to the Pope's Audience in which our Holy Father expressed the need to take things slow in matters of the heart.  He expressed the need to not rush things.  To not be motivated by physical attraction and feelings alone, but to use time to get to know one another.  Love comes slowly and maturing that love between two requires a slow process in which both people give of each other gradually.  Time gives each person the opportunity to learn who the other person is.  Below are some of my favorite quotes from the audience:
  • “Love is beautiful work that involves a profound learning of the other.”
  • “The Love between a man and a woman is learned and refined.”
  • “Turning two lives into one is also almost a miracle, a miracle of freedom of the heart, given in faith.”
  • "The covenant of love between a man and a woman, a covenant for life, cannot be improvised; it cannot be done from one day to the next…" 
  • "There’s no such thing as an express marriage.”


The message Pope Francis delivered is really not new truth, but I think that in this time where we live rushing from one thing to the next we need to be reminded constantly that great things come slowly.  His message really hit home for me in many ways because sometimes I want to rush the process of getting to know another.  It’s a struggle between trying to live my life in a manner where I feel like I am utilizing my time wisely and not wasting it on an impossibility.  Sometimes when I don’t see tangible evidence that a certain friendship is growing I get impatient trying to make it grow at the pace I want it, but in matters of two things happen at a speed that both people require.  His message also made me reflect on how time gives us the opportunity to learn who are beloved is.  This exchange happens between the two in which both give and receive- revealing who each person is.  If the relationship is one sided then things will not progress, which I think is where I find myself slowly discovering that mildly wanting me is not good enough.  I want someone who will pursue me with intentionality and not be afraid of commitment.  Someone who wants to show me through self-revelation and deep conversations who he is.  Initial interest is followed by listening to each other’s hearts and then filling them with one-another and this takes time.  That’s the direction that I want to go and thought it requires patience it also requires action and risk from both… I once went on a date with this man that only talked when I asked him a question, even then his responses were so short that it was the most painful hour of my life.  I know that sometimes nerves, shyness and fear hold us back- but if we are people of prayer let’s ask God for courage.  Pope Francis advices to take things slow, but even if we are moving at the pace of tortoises the relationship still must move forward… 

No comments:

Post a Comment