Wednesday, May 20, 2015

May Peace Reign in Our Hearts

Peace is the absence of conflict- the absence of confusion…  Every few months during my female hormone days my bipolar mania and depression come and invade my mind with tons of rapid thoughts- so many that I feel overwhelmed, anxious, restless- it gets even worse if I am feeling unsafe or vulnerable in some area(s) in my life.  The meds usually don’t work very well during these days and I am left to my own coping mechanisms.  Prayer is essential during my inner turmoil times, as is the support of my family and loved ones.  Not isolating myself and keeping my commitments also helps get me through the tense days until my brain begins to balance itself out.  I am really fortunate because I have a really large and loving support system that helps carry my mental anguish – I am not alone in this cross that God has chosen me to carry (praise be to God).  Yesterday, my best friend delivered a small care package to cheer me up.  It was such a lovely surprise – I especially liked the note she wrote and just the action helped me escape my anxiety.  It helped me realize that I am loved and I think that’s something that we all need to hear and be reminded especially on manic and depressive days (thanks buddy). 
Then a friend who suffers from Asperger’s and Bipolar sent me a text that he needed to talk because he was having a really hard time with the disorders.  I talked to him for some time (and even though I was feeling really anxious myself) listening to him talk about the things that he’s experiencing and just being there for him was a double bonus I helped him and in the process myself. Listening to my buddy I realized that keeping our sanity is the number one goal for people with mental disabilities.  Sometimes changes and sacrifices must be made in order for us to maintain our mental balance.  My friend validated my feelings that we bipolar suffers have a more challenging time picking up on cues in matters of the heart and how we need things to be clear to feel safe.  Safe boundaries and clear expectations protect our sanity.  As Christians we believe that mature love seeks the welfare of the other person first, that it’s more about giving than getting- it involves more of a mind decision than a heart’s feeling.  Thus, I have learned that keeping my sanity (not losing myself) is the best way I can love others- because if I go crazy then I am opening myself and others to chaos. 


Yesterday’s post is just between you and I, am sorry if it was too intense and difficult to understand.  I have a hard time trusting men- it’s not your fault and I don’t want to put pressure on you, I know we have made progress (smile). I truly believe that a strong friendship is a great foundation for more between a man and a woman, but I think both parties need to feel safe and be wise in order to protect each other’s heart (in my case my sanity as well).  I found a devotion that Pope Francis favors (Mary, Untier of Knots) it has a beautiful story behind it, let’s pray it together for God’s will in our lives.          

No comments:

Post a Comment