Monday, November 25, 2013

Light & Fluffy Color Run

This Saturday my coworker & I participated in the Run or Dye 5K and while our monetary contributions helped Make-a-Wish Foundation and Operation Santa Claus we had a blast!  Throughout the morning I couldn’t help feeling like a giant kiddo - the tutu I wore helped create much silliness.  For those not familiar, participants walk 2.5 miles while at various stations along the path volunteers bomb the walkers with different color dyes creating human art pieces.  At the finish line there’s a wild concert where everyone takes part in coloring the sky while dancing to catchy tunes. 
 On your marks, get set, GO!
 Nice and Clean Canvas.
All you need is love, love, love...

A little trivia: the Color Run has its roots in Ancient India – a Hindu Festival where celebrants threw naturally color powders as symbols of health & wellness.  Thus, Run or Dye prides itself with celebrating wellness, happiness and individuality.  While waiting at the start line, organizers motivate the runners by giving out cool swag and more importantly celebrating love & happiness.  We are encouraged to express our love by creating hearts with our hands, hugging five strangers and to celebrate our uniqueness by wearing silly outfits.  Describing it sounds like a little bit of hippie love (smile).
At the start line already getting some color, funky shades to protect our eyes.
Motivation while we wait.
The wild concert

It’s funny, participating in the run began as an idea to encourage my friends and I, to change our lifestyle and become healthier.  In the summer, we started a walking club that lasted a whole month before it fizzled (smile) and while I tried motivating them to do the walk with me no one was available on the scheduled date.  My coworker had a similar experience with her good-intention-walking club, so we joined forces and signed up just the two of us for the run. I must give credit where credit is due, Dollar was also a very loyal walker in the club and the most motivated, unfortunately he had to sit this one out, while the dyes are environmentally safe, dogs are not allowed in this 5K (wink).
I made it!
Coloring the sky.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like a blast! I'm glad you had fun! :-)

    God bless,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun indeed. Maybe you can do it next year :)

    ReplyDelete