Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dinner Time

As part of my birthday week celebration I signed up to drive a group of teens to Ronald McDonald House for a night of cooking and charity.  We arrived at the home without really knowing what to expect or really aware of what we were about to take on.  It wasn’t until a volunteer filled us in on what the organization is about that we understood who we were preparing dinner for.  Sometimes, in the comfort of the little bubble, we call life, we are oblivious of the many opportunities one can undertake to do good.  Usually, service to others is so simple and so rewarding, but in its simplicity we tend to miss it.
Assembly Line

In 1974 someone saw a need for temporary housing for families who have seriously ill or injured children in hospitals and are far away from home, “our (Ronald McDonald)Houses are built on the simple idea that nothing else should matter when a family is focused on the health of their child – not where they can afford to stay, where they will get their next meal or where they will lay their head at night to rest. We believe that when a child is hospitalized the love and support of family is as powerful as the strongest medicine prescribed.
Excited about rolls!
Chocolate Chip Cookies on the way.

The menu for the night included: meatballs in rich tomato sauce, rice, steamed vegetables, dinner rolls and fresh, homemade cookies for dessert.  Assignments were distributed among the teens and each tackled a dinner course.  Among many giggles and “first time” in the kitchen moments the dinner was completed on time and ready to serve.
Someone is proud of her rice.

As families made their way to the buffet style set-up and served themselves plates that we all helped create they gratefully smiled.  One of the moms' even came over and shared her heartfelt testimony and kept repeating, “Thank you, you guys don’t know what this means to me- to us during this trying time.  We have been in the hospital all day and to come here and be served a warm meal, thank you.”
Team work.

I share these stories with you, not because I want to be seen in a godly light, or to have you think I am a really good person - I am a sinner (I battle with my favorite sins and make mistakes every single day) - my close friends and family will attest to my shortcomings.  These narratives highlight what God is doing in my life and if anyone deserves credit it’s Him.  I am simply His willing instrument, Glory to God in the highest!
Blurry Group Shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment