Friday, November 1, 2013

Hallows Eve Recap

Costumes courtesy of Goodwill.

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players…" Another successful Diva Day has come to pass.  Yesterday, I transformed myself into the Queen of the Nile, Cleopatra, for the day – but I am still sick, so I didn’t feel very silly and one cannot be in costume without silliness, so I actually felt awkward all day… But I persevered.  At work we had our annual costume contest, along with potlucks and a lot of laughter.  Then, I joined my comadre & her family to go trick-or-treating, I actually just went to walk my turtle Dollar and like always he was hit.  In my neighborhood some houses set aside some dog treats for him knowing that he gets walked in costume every Hallows Eve (smile).  Then it was time to evangelize with “Jesus Loves You” candy while watching, “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.”  My nephew usually does all the evangelizing since he loves being in charge of handing out the candy, and my usually quiet dog helps by barking while strange goblins come to the door. 

Did you know there's a Saint Cleopatra?

I know as Catholics we are not supposed to celebrate Halloween - the first years after my conversion I stopped dressing up, but I was miserable! Here are my thoughts on it today –every day Jesus should be the star especially on a day where the majority leave Him out. Two, Christianize the holiday so that God’s love reaches all. Three, I am a work in progress and perhaps I have not been completely converted in the Halloween area. Finally, how I celebrate this day today brings honor to my Lord and I have no guilt over it- it makes me happy and I know mi Papi in Heaven understands (on more serious issues I don’t question His authority) and every year He gives me more ideas on how to convert Halloween into a Jesus Day (smile).

Yeehaw!

Now, today is All Saints’ Day don’t forget to get to mass it's a day of obligation.  My old parish (Saint Barbara in Santa Ana) invited me to come over and I extend the invitation.  Today, after the 7PM mass they are having a saint’s parade so get your saint costume ready! Father is giving a brief catechesis on the festivity (he’s a great speaker, he was ordained by Pope John Paul II) (wink).       

No comments:

Post a Comment