Friday, November 15, 2013

Dreams are God's Playground


XLT 2013 held at our beautiful parish

When I was a little girl one of my many favorite games was playing school… During summers I would persuade my friends to transform themselves into students and I would teach them a variety of subjects.  I also had a passion for reading.  Thus, as I grew up I believed that my life’s mission was to teach.  At the start of university I knew that my major would be English and that I would eventually teach and perhaps write during the summers.  From a young age I visualized a path where dreams come true - through hard work and dedication and I ardently followed it.  As my formal education came to a close and the sight of teaching was finally at my reach my mind began to fail me.  This terrible insecurity bundled with immense fear attached itself like a mollusk to my being and teaching became impossible.  In the span of a year I worked at three different high schools and I quit all of them.  What I had prepared my entire life for, what I had invested so much time and money - all those sacrifices pointless- my purpose in life lost…  I no longer controlled my mind. Then the voices began and I knew that I had gone mad…  

Night of yummy pizza...
 With friends...
And more friends...

It took an entire year to find the medications that were compatible with my brain chemistry. A year of unemployment followed and a year full of deranged, acute suffering, but I pulled through (smile).  It’s been six years since my mental breakdown and six years since I have stepped inside a classroom.  Whether I ever make it back to teaching or not I have learned that my career cannot and will not be my purpose.  We hear about sick codependent relationships, but one’s career can also be equally damaging.  It's dangerous to gain one’s self identity or self worth from what one does to earn a living because the moment one loses it- everything is lost. That’s why some people in high level positions commit suicide if they get fired from their jobs because to them they are losing so much more than just their job.

Worship Music & Ispirational talk...
Full house: over 400 teens in attendance...

This year God led me to help in the teen ministry at my parish.  At first I felt like it wasn’t a right fit because God was taking me out of my comfort zone and all these old fears were rising inside me.  Yet, God doesn’t give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and self-control, so I trusted His guidance.  The anxiety of working with teens hasn’t fully left me, but I know God is slowly healing me.  Here, I had signed up to help teenagers only to realize that God wanted to do so much more for me. 

Adoration of Blessed Sacrament.

No comments:

Post a Comment