Thursday, November 21, 2013

Daddy's Girl

Last night I was thinking of Mary, Jesus’ mom...  Awhile back I met a new believer he was excitedly sharing his faith with me - he had that zest that comes after a deep encounter with Christ. I was really enjoying our conversation until he said, “I know you’re Catholic and that’s fine, but you know just don’t go into believing in Mary don’t make such a big deal about her.” I didn’t want to kill his newfound faith so I just smiled and redirected the conversation back to Jesus.


Months later I started thinking more about this anti-Mary mentality that he expressed.  I must confess I am a daddy’s girl when it comes to my faith I love, love, love Jesus, The Father & the Holy Spirit… But let’s say that I invited you to come dine with me & my family.  Let’s say that you excitedly came into my house and acknowledge all of the members of my family, but ignored my mother in fact you disliked her so much that you were indifferent to her.  What effect do you think that would have on me?  How would it make me feel?


Now imagine that you die and you are in heaven and Mother Mary is there with Jesus.  Mary the woman who carried Jesus in her womb, who because of her yes to God began Christianity through her Son, who aided the course of our salvation - will you continue ignoring her then in His physical presence?  What effect do you think it will have on Jesus?  How will it make him feel?  I love you Jesus, but keep that woman you call your mother away from me lest I make her an idol!



I’m not asking people to share my veneration nor understanding of Mother Mary, just to give her the place she deserves don’t cast her out because you don’t understand the relationship she has to the Catholic faith.  She’s pretty amazing – God thought so when he chose her to carry His Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment