Thursday, August 16, 2018

Evangelizing on a Lyft Ride

On Sunday, before flying home I went to the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes in Spokane.  After the service I stayed for a good amount of time enjoying the beautiful stained glass windows, each depicting a scene from the life of Jesus before I was ready to call for a ride to the airport.  I didn't realize that the Lyft driver would be so curious by the location where he picked me up at. While I was looking forward to a quiet twenty-minute ride to the airport, God had evangelizing plans.
First, the Lyft driver asked me if I was Catholic, then if I often went to Mass, then if I believed in the "transformation" using his terminology of bread and wine...  The questions kept coming and I was getting uncomfortable not knowing where he stood - whether he was aiming to pick a fight.  I tried to change the conversation numerous times, but he continued bringing it back to God. I finally asked Him if he was a believer and he told me that once he had accepted God as Lord and Savior and that he believed in Jesus.  That  he had been involved with a non-denominational church, but no longer went.  I asked him why he stopped and he said he was a drug addict, that he had struggled with drugs most of his life and finally had gotten sober, but that he was struggling again.
I was quite stunned by his honest sharing because he seemed like a private person.  When he first picked me up he got out of the car never made eye contact placed my luggage in the trunk and then clumsily began a conversation.  He was intrigued by the pick up location and  wasn't interested in changing the subject even though religion can be quite a sensitive topic and finally I surrendered.  I understood that God wanted me to share my faith and so I did.  I listened to his story and suggested he return to God and never let go.  I shared that I had also gone through struggles and these struggles led me to God and since I had been led to Him there was no way I was letting Jesus go.  To be honest I was quite uncomfortable by the whole experience because I was taken out of my comfort zone, speaking to a stranger impromptu about God and my struggles.  I kept thinking that the extra time I spent inside the Cathedral praying was in a way preparing me for this encounter.
As I saw the Southwest Terminal I let out a sigh of relief realizing the ride was over, but before I got out the car, I heard God tell me the driver needed a hug.  So, as he set my  luggage on the ground I extended my arms and remembering the name I saw on the Lyft application, I stated his name (I seriously heard God tell me you have to call the young man by name) and told him I would pray for him.  That's when he finally looked me in the eye, smiled and sheepishly slipped, "God bless you."  Through this encounter I realized many things, but the most prevalent is that even on vacation I need to be on evangelizing mode, I need to be prepared to share my faith.  Never did I imagine that during a short Lyft drive I would find a person with so much need for Jesus.  Initially I was hesitant to share my faith and though this might sound crazy, I heard God whispering directions and I obeyed as best as I could. It was my first time using the Lyft app, on my first ride from my hotel to the cathedral the driver gave me his name and asked me to pray for him...  On the second, I heard a painful testimony and offered him God's hope and redemption.  I wonder if all Lyft drives are this religious or if I have found the new form of evangelization - one Lyft drive at a time (smile)?     

No comments:

Post a Comment