Thursday, April 19, 2018

There's Something About Mary


I am a wimp.   Tell me that I have to donate blood or have blood work done and the thought of that syringe, more specifically the needle rupturing my skin increases my heart rate to the point of an anxiety episode.  No, am not kidding!  Even as a young adult my mom would have to come to doctor appointments with me and hold my hand while I was poked.  However, once in college I decided that I had to grow up and do it on my own.  I remember that first time I had to get blood withdrawn, sitting in the lobby waiting to face the most terrifying event on my own.  It was then that I called to Mother Mary and I asked her to hold my hand, to be with me during this scary experience.  I talked to her and I even promised to donate a large sum of money in her name if she would just help me get through the ordeal.  Since, I have survived many needle poking’s always with her by my side.  She is the one that I call to in my most dire situations because I know the power of a mother’s influence.  I love Jesus, I talk to him every day; but, when I feel like I am about to fall apart I run to his mother to intercede on my behalf.
Earlier in the week I went to adoration and at this particular chapel beside the tabernacle is a beautiful statue of Mother Mary.  I took out my rosary and I prayed meditating on each mystery with Mother Mary and I began a novena that has become my most special devotion, "Mary Undoer of Knots."  When I feel out of control or like perhaps I need to let go of something I turn to this novena.  While praying it I thought about an event that happened soon after my ex-boyfriend and I broke up.  I was in the car listening to songs of heartbreak and feeling quite miserable for myself when I saw a homeless man on the corner asking for alms.  He was really dirty, his hair was greasy like it hadn’t been washed in months, his clothes were soiled and he looked like he was talking to himself.  I saw that man in such a tattered state and I remember this aha moment when I realized that I was in the car condemning my ex for breaking my heart and wishing him all kinds of hurt; but, I would never want to see him like this homeless man.  It was at that moment that I understood that when you truly love someone you want the best for that person, even if the best might not be you.  I turned off my radio and I asked God to give my ex-boyfriend goodness and a girl who would love him the way that he needed, but to do so far from me because his happiness would still hurt me.
Lighting a prayer candle for my prayer intentions is a favored devotion.

Sometimes I need to be reminded that when we care about another person we need to be selfless even if it means a little bit of hurt on our end.  Through circumstances I was afraid that I was going to lose someone and all I thought was of protecting myself.  BUT, Jesus shows us that we can’t be afraid of the cross, we can’t be afraid of suffering and Mother Mary exemplifies the wounded heart.  She suffered a terrible loss as a mother and when I am in pain, confused and focused on me I love running to her because she gets me.  She is able to comfort me and show me the big picture, a bigger picture than my hurt.  In that moment with her and the days since, I’ve realized that I have to be a good friend even when it hurts or circumstances make me feel uncertain.  It’s easy to be a good friend in times of plenty, but much more difficult when we are out of our comfort zone.  I have found the strength to do so, to turn my frown upside down with the intercession of my Momma Mary and when I start losing my peace, I just run back into her arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment