Monday, April 16, 2018

Bad at Guarding My Heart


“Above else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” Proverbs 4:23

I’ve never been very good at protecting my heart…  Every time I have suffered a disillusionment my sister tells me that I have to learn to find someone who will love me first before I get emotionally involved.  I know she is trying to be helpful, but her words only make me feel like more of a failure.  If only I had an impenetrable shield then hurt would never enter and she would never have to see me in pain.  Her reaction is typical in our culture to harden our hearts or develop “thick skin.”  Yet, I don’t want to train myself to live in numbness with fear of the troubles that openness and vulnerability can bring.  God liberated my hard heart from an unbreakable prison state and going back is not something that I see myself doing.  I have been delivered, unshackled and the weakness that I sometimes experience when disappointment comes knocking at my door is to be met with same hope that led the Apostle Paul to declare, "He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”"  Even when we are bad at guarding our hearts, Jesus still has the antidote. 
It’s good to work on being prudent and guarding our hearts ahead of time, but when we suck at it (like me) God will get us through the temporal ache.  In this world we are going to experience pain in all types of forms and situations – and loss in many different ways. BUT, we are never left alone to carry our cross, God promised to be with us until the end of time.  Sometimes our minds will want to focus on the darkness, but Christians were made for the light.  We are carriers of the God News sealed with the Holy Spirit!  When my ex-boyfriend ended our relationship and soon after my brother died I went into the darkest place I have ever been.  In the years since I have worked hard to protect myself from that kind of pain, afraid that another heartbreak would break me like it did then… Today I know that hurt is inevitable, but on this day I can boast of having a God whose power is greater than my weakness.  Just now I realized that as long as my eyes stay fixed on the Lord, no matter what happens I am going to be ok.  It’s not easy to be bipolar and not like unexpected things to happen – it makes me a little of a control freak sometimes- but am learning that NOW my faith is the difference.  I went into a dark place before because I didn’t have faith, I didn’t have a God of hope with me.  Yet, even then when my heart was closed to Him, He came and found me.  There will always be the temptation to lose hope, to succumb to self-pity and negativity; but now I know better. Now, I cling to the Lord.  I needed a morning of prayer to come to this conclusion.  "Si se que te tengo a Ti (Dios), no nesecito mas."   

No comments:

Post a Comment