Thursday, April 12, 2018

Packing a Waste Free Lunch

Two years ago, I was tired of reusing plastic grocery bags to pack my lunches so I started looking into buying the perfect lunch bag.  Then one day in my thrifting endeavors I came across a beautiful PVC with leather handles Dooney and Bourke beauty.  Someone had donated it because though it was in pristine condition the corner had a small tear.  For three bucks I took it home to decide how I could salvage the otherwise perfect lunch tote.  With a little Gorilla glue, a large binder clip and an overnight for glue to set I revived an object that was deemed unusable. 
As the year progressed I continue to slowly diminish my waste by finding reusable containers to pack anything from snacks to the main dish.  All of my items were purchased at thrift stores brand new, however I have attached the brand names in case you feel like getting your own.  Most recently I was looking for reusable snack and sandwich bags, and I thought that I would have to resort to ordering them from an online retailer, but last Saturday I found a cute reusable sack with Velcro at a yard sale and now my lunches are for the most part one-hundred percent waste free!     

Waste Free means: no plastic wrap, no foil, no zip lock bags and no packaged foods… and opting instead for packing items that can be composed or recycled.  It means avoiding excess packaging and replacing disposable items with reusable containers and utensils.  It can be tricky at first, but like any change it requires a little practice. 

I have read statistics stating that since 2006 the United States produces around 236 million tons of waste annually!  That’s a whole lot of waste.  In fact, as a nation Americans generate more waste than any other nation.  Most of the waste comes from packaging on the food we buy.  I mentioned before that I am not much of an activist, my role in generating change has always been personal.  What can I do for the good of others or in this case for the good of creation?  As a good steward of the world God gave me, small changes led me to a waste free lunch.  After reading that in one school year a child taking a disposable lunch generates an average of sixty-seven pounds of waste which equates to 18,760 pounds of lunch waste for just one average size elementary, I knew I had to make changes.  While I don’t have children to pack lunches for I see these similar patterns of waste in my office lunchroom.  Thus, I have gone lunch green (smile). Here's how:

Refillable Drinking Containers: I have a large water zippy cup, a reusable coffee cup (which I totally love) and a saucer for my oatmeal or Cream of Wheat. 
Reusable Utensils: These To Go Ware are made of bamboo, they are really handy, but a little thick... I think making your own utensil carrier and using silver spoons is the better option.  Though I do use these most days.  The cute pack comes with a knife, fork, spoon and chopsticks.
Lunchskins are reusable snack and sandwich bags.  I love mine in animal print.

Reusable Lunch Containers:These are by Lock & Lock I have them in several sizes for soup, salad, snacks, etc.    
Reusable Lunch Bag: I love my salvaged Dooney and Bourke bag it reminds of Christmas all year long! I love the size and its really easy to wipe clean. A real good investment.  The brand has many styles to choose from.
Packing a waste free lunch not only will help reduce your waste you will also save a bit of money, can't go wrong with that (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment