Thursday, September 14, 2017

Some Lessons Need to be Taught

What is the first thought that comes into your mind when you wake up every morning?  If you are an avid Liturgy of the Hours type, I am guessing that God and a big “thank you for one more day.”  At least, that’s what I have heard Benedictine monks say.  The practice of praying the Liturgy of the Hours helps discipline and elevate the mind to God throughout the day especially at the beginning and closing.  “It was during my two years at the Valyermo Monastery that I learned to wake up every morning with God as my first thought because I was so used to praying the Liturgy of the Hours,” my new professor stated on Monday night.  This observation rattled me because sometimes I think that holiness is easier for some and not necessarily me.  When I think of holiness I sometimes over mystify it and the term my professor used “learned” indicates that while holiness comes from God – there’s some learning involved in the part of the recipient.  Holiness is a living stream that requires action, a personal "yes" to bear fruits and these fruits enrich the person and his community.
Some lessons need to be taught.  I’ve been reading a biography on Saint Francis of Assisi in which the author shares the life of the happy saint during his initial conversion when his heart and mind were in opposition.  Like the majority of people in his community, Francis was repulsed by lepers but slowly with the help of God he learned to love and care for them.  Leaving behind the wealth that surrounded him, Francis learned to see God in nature and creation; especially, in the most vulnerable.  He didn’t wake up one day reborn into Francis the saint it was a lifelong gradual change.  Sometimes when we study the lives of the saints we look at them after their sanctification, but they were men and women like you and me. That through a series of lifelong changes, of prayer and learning to do the will of God they transformed into the men and women we seek today for intersession. 
Most mornings and afternoons as I drive to and from work I am able to enjoy the sky.  Yesterday, the clouds were beautifully scattered across the blue backdrop and the sun peaked at the center of a group of cotton balls.  No artist could do justice to the splendor of that moment’s sky and I was so happy that while the roads were crowded the sky was all mine to enjoy.  Yet, I haven’t always been the type to delight in a sunrise, or a blooming bloom – I really had to be taught.  Like many in this country I was always rushing and preoccupied with my duties too busy to ever acknowledge the natural beauty around me.  I took it for granted and expected nature to give me day and night; but, who is worthy of a sunrise?  Not only are we unworthy of this wondrous world given to us; but many don’t even appreciate it.  A wise farmer once said that when people stopped working directly with the land they stopped caring for it.  This broken relationship has been the cause of serious abuse against creation…    
Imagine what learning to wake up with a thank you on your lips would do for your life?  “Thank you my sweet, loving Jesus for one more day of life, for one more opportunity to do good…”  Just the thought of waking up with a song of thanksgiving makes my day’s outlook seem worthy of my rising and leaving the comforts of my bed.  The great thing is that if this isn’t your natural morning response, with the help of God it can be (smile).  God pours His holiness, but we are active participants that absorb His grace to glorify Him step by step in our daily encounters.  Sanctification requires a little learning, who would’ve of thunk it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment