Thursday, September 21, 2017

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning's End

Life is full of loss… The death of a loved one, the end of a relationship, the dying of a dream, in my case the loss of a job.  This week, I, along with most of my company was laid off because the company is relocating to Texas.  I got a sixty day notice to abandon ship.  During the mass layoff as I witnessed the different reactions from my team, I saw that the commonality was a sense of devaluation.  People who have dedicated a lifetime to my company felt easily disposed of.  While the CEO kept stating that he was doing what was best for the company, the people that make up the corporation didn’t agree with his assessment.  Which made me think of Pope Francis and the many times he’s asked us to remember that behind each structure there are people.  Upper management is looking at increasing revenue by moving to a state where rents are cheaper and deleting high salaries of employees who have dedicated many years to the company.  To the CEO the company is money and acquiring more of it means success.  Sadly, taking care of the people that invested so much to the company is no longer a concern in the for profit sector.  As Pope Francis has many times said we live in a “throwaway” culture where society quite easily discards people.  My coworker, a new mom of two, kept angrily asking “why?”  I tried to explain to her how it wasn’t personal it was just a monetary strategy taking precedence over the welfare of people.  “It’s the system that is messed up not you,” I told her.
Then I got home and had a glass wine and wondered why I was so at peace, knowing that in sixty days I would be without a job?  I sat in my garden in silence for many hours, prayed a rosary and read the life of Saint Francis of Assisi.  The thing is that I have been here before.  This territory has been well-traveled by me.  I know what it’s like to be without work; the uncertainty, the fears and the monetary constraints- even the emotional lows and insecurity that come like waves to challenge the already bruised ego.  Was my peace due to shock?  A temporary feeling that would leave as soon as the reality of the layoff hit? Or was it God given? 

I woke up the next morning equally calm, but noticed that during this whole process I have found so much comfort in the words of Pope Francis.  I have begun expressing my way of fighting this “throwaway” culture by featuring some of my shopping habits and reusing practices on here.  My focus has been on the material waste that I see in my community and my personal fight against it.  Now, I am experiencing another type of waste that of discarding people as if they were easily replaceable things.  I thought of my coworker’s shock in understanding that the goal of businesses today is  more concerned with making profit then with the needs of its people.  And I realized that I wasn’t angry or shocked because thanks to Pope Francis I have long been aware of the path that society is heading into.  Having a foundation in a faith that tells me that I am worthy not because of the job that I have or lack thereof; but, because I am made in the image and likeness of God gives me peace.  Stripping me of a job-title and occupation doesn’t make me less me.  I have been without a job in a worse state of mind and God got me through it!  This is a time to once again place my trust in Him and to persevere in prayer singing, “Jesus, I trust in you.”  Every end brings an opportunity for a new beginning, and what is life without a bit of adventure?  Nevertheless, please keep me in your prayers so that I will soon find employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment