Monday, September 11, 2017

New Studies Show that Leggings are Not Pants

A few months ago a woman blogger wrote about her personal decision to stop wearing leggings because she felt immodest in them.  She wanted to help men with custody of the eyes by not wearing a garment she felt was provocative.  This post created a storm from all sides of the spectrum.  People accused her of body shaming, of being a prude- while others praised her decision.  This reminded me of the long debate among fashionistas about whether leggings are pants or not.  Secular fashion magazines have done surveys and the leading majority still agrees that leggings are NOT pants.  Even famous fashion designers have a problem with “when did leggings become pants?”  It seems like no credible fashion source has yet to come forth to support leggings as pants (smile).  In recent years, they have become a great wardrobe staple, but most agree that they cannot be worn alone. 
I love and live in leggings because they are so perfectly comfortable and easy to style.  At a recent birthday party, I was having a conversation with mommy friends and they couldn’t stop raving about LuLaRoe leggings.  LuLaRoe is a consultant brand that claims to produce exquisitely soft clothing and their printed leggings are the most popular item, at twenty-five dollars a pair.  Being a thrifty girl that never pays retail, I decided to wait and keep an eye at my local thrift stores until I found a pair.  Last week, I found four brand new pairs in my size on a day the store was having a half-off sale!  I got all four pairs (the prints are just darling) and paid twelve dollars- at just three dollars a pair!  My favorite are the ones covered with cute heads of Little Miss Piggy.  I was a little apprehensive about the material, while it is very soft it also feels very thin.
Now, because I live in leggings and know that they are an article of clothing that require some fashion sense I have high standards for my body hugging friends.  First, I like them thick enough so that in the light they are not transparent.  I think one of the arguments against leggings being pants is that some are so see-through that they leave little to the imagination.  A big “no-no” in my book.  I’ve had some of my RCIA students wearing them and I could totally see the heart print of their panties.  Which brings me to my second point, I like quality materials because I like them to last more than a couple times in the wash.  I also notice that with higher quality fabrics less of my dog’s hair sticks to them; which is a major plus if you have a pet that sheds.  This weekend I put to the test a pair of my LuLaRoe leggings and I absolutely love them!  They are comfortable, they fall nicely on my curves and the material while lite is not see-through.  I haven’t washed them yet so am not sure how they will do in the laundry.  The prints are so fun and the material lives up to the “buttery-soft” advertisement.  I normally wear my leggings with long tunics, long shirts or layered in some way which is the secret to wearing leggings modestly.  Requiring long tops is what makes this article of clothing a hybrid between pants and tights- they are similar to both, but are their own unique species; not quite pants and not quite tights.  However, definitely modest with a little creativity (smile).    
On the subject of leggings, this video is pretty funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment