Thursday, June 1, 2017

Dollar and Penny Fourteen Years

Fourteen years ago this little animal soul was born.  At two months-and-a-half he came home with me.  I had just suffered the demise of my first romantic relationship and had gone shopping hoping for the distraction. As customary, I peeked in the pet store and came across the cage of my animal soulmate.  I knocked on his glass window and unlike all the other doggies eager for attention this little guy didn’t move from his comfortable resting position.  The store attendant asked if I would like to hold him, but I declined stating that I was just looking and not intending to buy.  He convinced me to hold future Dollar stating that animals at the pet store don’t get held a whole lot.  He placed him in my arms and the little guy laid limp - only a broken heart can recognize another.  Noticing that this tiny dog was suffering as much as I was, I swiped my credit card on impulse and brought him home.  These past fourteen years have been the greatest adventure, just-the-two-of-us.
1) Initially I thought he was mute because he never let out a sound.  I had to scare him in order to get his first bark confirming that indeed he could speak.

2) Not only does he have good looks, but he’s a genius!  He graduated with honors from home puppy school- the valedictorian indeed!

3) When he was a young pup he tested his luck and ran across the street getting scraped by a car.

4) He was the best therapy when I lost my brother- such a loving presence.  

5) While walking at Mile Square Park he accidently stepped on a fallen beehive, luckily his momma had a hat and swatted the bees away- both surviving the attack.

6) He reciprocated saving my life when I was at my lowest point, suffering from the worst depression.

7) While trying to stand up for his best doggie friend, he survived a terrifying attack by a Pitbull.
8) Leisurely walks are his absolute favorite, the more bushes to stop at the better.

9) And prefers the park to the beach.

10) On bath day he tries to hide underneath the bed because he hates showers.

10) He’s extremely sensitive, when I return from my travels he always expresses his displeasure (at my leaving) by not coming near me for a couple of hours.

11) But has a forgetful mind, so forgetful that he thinks I am perfect at all times.

12) We tried having a doggy sibling, but found out that he loves being the only one.

13) He will only do tricks on carpeted floors.

14) In terms of unconditional love, forgiveness and joy; he’s one of the best teachers I have ever had.
Let me go, I hate pictures!

I love a poem Pablo Neruda wrote as a eulogy for his beloved friend, I plan on reading it on the day that Dollar and I must part.  There’s a line where Neruda says, “he never climbed all over my clothes filling me full of his hair or his mange / he never rubbed up against my knee like dogs obsessed with sex…” Dollar is the same way, he has never been an annoying, yappy dog who jumps on people at first sight.  Some would even say he’s a bit of a snob, because he only gives joyous welcomes to those in his pack. Every day coming home is a celebration.  My day might have been a total chaos, but when I cross the gates to my safe haven a little fur ball awaits to drench me in his pure, pure love.  Happy Birthday my love, Dollarin!  

No comments:

Post a Comment