Monday, June 5, 2017

Summer Time Plans

Yesterday, concluded my third year assisting the RCIA ministry.  On the last day we hand out the Sacrament Certificates to each student in a like graduation style celebration.  First we open the day with prayer, then we watch a slide show of the whole year, then we give recognitions to the top students.  Finally, handing out their initiation to the Catholic Church “diplomas,” before closing with a potluck style luncheon (families and sponsors are also invited).  It’s usually a day full of smiles and a bittersweet closure, because as excited as we are for the summer break it’s an ending to our class gatherings.  Lots of hugs are given and then we head to Mass to close with the celebration of celebrations.
Given that my commitment to RCIA is done and I get a couple months break in addition to also having a break from my classes at the diocese – I have extra time to fill with new activities.  At a parish near my home on Thursday nights they are showing “The Pivotal Players” videos accompanied by classroom discussion.  Last week I attended my first night, there’s about twenty of us in the class.  We usually watch a portion of the series then we have an open classroom discussion.  I love that it’s done this way because I am not fond of small groups.  It also feels more efficient to share our thoughts from our seats.  Last week I was given a booklet that goes with the videos, there’s summaries of the pivotal players in addition to questions for discussion and application.  I really like that the program is so organized and our facilitator is a sweet, older lady.  In fact, my class is mostly retired folk, but I enjoy being around people of much wisdom.  Though I started the series two weeks late, I am so looking forward to viewing Bishop Barron’s wonderful series.
Recently, I also started my Third Order Franciscan journey.  It took me awhile because I didn’t want to commit to the drive- I know I can be so lazy!  They also meet on the second Sunday of every month so with RCIA it was a little overwhelming.  Thus, I decided to wait until the RCIA year was over so that I could go to the meetings with a more energized mind.  Last month due to Mother’s Day the meeting was held on the third Sunday and I went for the first time.  I received such a warm welcome that I knew I had found the fraternity I had been looking for.  I love how the meetings are organized, there’s even a moment for a photo op because we have a member who writes a newsletter for our fraternity and she publishes a picture of each meeting’s group!  Kindred Spirit for sure (smile).  We also have a couple in charge of a traveling library with every book relating to Franciscan spirituality!  I am so looking forward to growing some roots with this group!
Los Alamitos Fraternity

Our faith journey should always challenge us to grow, to try different paths that show us a different angle to our Creator.  I am lucky that I live in an area where there’s so many different opportunities, so many different activities and so many groups to help me get to heaven.  Last week, I also attended a woman’s group that was a really neat experience.  It was more of a Catholic social group where I got to have really deep, insightful conversations with other women.  The group is led by Father Bartus’ wife.  These new activities have me extremely excited about my summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment