Thursday, June 8, 2017

Wonder Woman A Tale of Feminine Beauty

During my college years I took a class on the history of film- and it was during this time that my bedroom was covered with black and white portraits of the “Golden Age of film” actors.  Right in the center, between Clark Gable and Pedro Infante I had a picture of Linda Carter in her Wonder Woman outfit. She was the only modern (1975) film actress on my wall because I loved the black and white image of her I found at a flea market.  It made me think of my sister who had grown up watching Wonder Woman and who held a strong affection for the actress.  It’s been many seasons since my walls were covered with made belief heroes, but I still wanted to watch the 2017 remake of “Wonder Woman.” I had no problem recruiting my sister and a couple other friends to watch it with me.  Yet, I didn’t think that I would like it as much as I did.
It didn’t try to be feminist.  I was expecting it to be about girl power and even about the erroneous definition of feminism that celebrities are so candidly voicing.  Surprisingly it was a story of a woman superhero who has beauty, brains and a big heart.  Though she can probably tackle any battle alone, she allows others to help her.  It reminds me of that phrase, “I need you because I love you.”  When you care about another person they start becoming a healthy need because God created us for community and together is where we find our super powers. Wonder Woman accepting help from others, doesn’t take away from her awesomeness I think it actually adds depth to her character.  There’s strength in allowing and accepting another’s help – even when we know that she can probably do all on her own.
It told a story about love.  Sure there’s a beautiful romantic story taking place, but there’s a bigger one about love for your neighbor.  There’s this question about why Zeus would allow humankind to continue existing even when society is corrupted and man is fighting against each other.  After all the film is set during World War I and we get a vivid sense of the nastiness of war in many scenes especially when it takes us to No Man’s Land.  That’s a fair question that the villain uses to confound Wonder Woman and sends her in a huge inner struggle trying to find the answer.  Then she remembers all the moments that the people she has met have shown a denial of self for the greater good of society.  She understands that love is why Zeus decides to keep his creation alive.  No truer Christian message. 

In a time when celebrities tell us that feminism is strutting in little to no clothes, using obscene language, and being more powerful than men; Wonder Woman takes us back to the roots and authenticity of what it means to be truly feminist.  She’s a superhero who is a woman and keeping those traits that make the female sex beautiful made this movie an anthem for femininity and girl power- but it also made it much more.  Now go watch it if you haven’t!          

No comments:

Post a Comment