Thursday, June 15, 2017

Wieliczka Salt Mine Cathedral

When I was in Poland we toured an underground Cathedral in the Wieliczka Salt Mine where the sculptures were sculpted out of salt by artists.  It was quite the process getting down to it, but once inside it was absolutely stunning.  I’ve been feeling a bit ill this week so for today’s post I just want to give you a photo tour of this great natural wonder.  The Chapel of Saint Kinga is the pride of the miners and with great reason too, it hosts some of the best carvings completely made from salt!
View from the top.
 The chandeliers had so much detail, so pretty.
 Mother Mary.
 The front of the altar.
 Beautiful image of the holy family.
 Not sure if you can tell, but this is a nativity.
 Saint John Paul II
 There's also a lake near the chapel.
The salt is always cold.

Am not sure how often the church gets used, but it sure is a popular place to tour.  As I walked through it, I kept thinking is this the weirdest place I have seen a church at? It might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment