Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Saint Peregrine's Chapel

On Sunday, we packed in my car and drove in tune to Vicente Fernandez on our way to the San Juan Capistrano Mission… Two weeks ago my mom went to Urgent Care after complaining of pain in her jaw and the doctor on call told her based on her symptoms and what he saw that to him it was most likely cancer.  He sent her to get a referral for a biopsy and numerous tests.  During the time that followed as we waited to get confirmation we came together in prayer.  I learned that Saint Peregrine is the patron saint for cancer sufferers and my siblings and I asked for his intercession through a beautiful novena.  I promised him that at the conclusion of the nine day prayer I would go visit him to thank him either way.  During my time of prayer with Saint Peregrine, I learned that he is a saint of the Servite Order and has a reputation as a great, holy priest.  He was afflicted with cancer on his leg and foot and suffered great pains.  The night before he was to have an amputation he prayed fervently and was miraculously healed.  This healing caused his reputation to grow and throughout his long life he performed many miracles.  I also discovered that at the San Juan Capistrano Mission there was a small chapel dedicated to him and I promised him I would visit him there at the conclusion of my novena.
Growing up in my home, I learned about solemn promises from my mother.  Every time she felt things out of her control she would make a vow, usually to visit the saint she was asking for intercession at the location she knew he was venerated.  When giving birth to my sister she had complications and she asked Mother Mary for intercession promising that she would name my sister after Our Lady of Sorrows.  When my brother was dying she promised she would visit the Temple Sagrario in Patzcuaro.   When I was really sick she asked Mother Mary for intercession promising she would visit her at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  Throughout my life, I have seen this spiritual practice give her strength during the most challenging moments.  Thus, when I felt like things were out of my control I imitated my mother in her strong faith.  I promised Saint Peregrine that I would visit him personally at the Saint Peregrine Chapel.  As I prayed his novena with my siblings, I noticed that hope in the difficult waiting period grew.  We were able to laugh and enjoy each day, even with a shadow looming over us.  Did my mom receive a miraculous healing or was it a misdiagnosis?  Probably the second, but regardless the time spent praying with Saint Peregrine helped us find courage and hope in God’s will. 
Thus, on Sunday I took my mom, dad and my nephew to pay my vow.  We toured the mission extremely happy and grateful for God’s providence.  When we made it to Saint Peregrine’s Chapel we went in and prayed a short prayer together in thanks for his intercession.  We also played the recording that came with our tour package and heard a short bio of the life of the saint.  I turned around and my mom had tears in her eyes, they were tears of relief because even when she’s ill she always gives us so much strength!  We toured the rest of the mission in laughter, my parents admiring the flowers and my nephew and I completing an interactive children’s tour. 
A little silliness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment