Thursday, May 18, 2017

Visiting the Sanctuary of Divine Mercy

When I was touring Prague, I had this very informative tour guide, after describing the political and religious turmoil the Czech Republic has faced she said, “when things are good people forget about God, but when troubles come they cling to their faith and fight for their beliefs.”  That statement rattled my brain.  I know from personal experience that when challenges come my way I cling to God with all my might, but in times of plenty I can get a little loose in my relationship with Him.  When my dog was a couple months old he used to remain between my legs when I took him to the dog park as he got older he began to wander a little further from me.  I think that’s what my relationship with God is like, when I am in trouble I try to remain super close, but as my confidence increases I can start to wander.  I don’t visit him in adoration as much, or I dismiss prayer times for other activities.  Yet, just like my dog might go exploring, he always knows where I am and keeps a close eye to run towards me before I am out of sight… I guess that’s one of the reasons that I enjoy saint literature because their stories of faith help me want to desire God with the same intensity at all times.  
A great place for prayer and the window of the room belonging to Saint Faustina.

I have been reading the Diary of Saint Faustina, before my trip I got half way through it.  I knew we would be visiting some of the sites dedicated to her so I wanted to have a better grasp of who she was.  Her writings are great insight into someone with a deep-unwavering connection to God.  Whether she is celebrating or deeply troubled her refuge is the same Lord, Jesus Christ.  During my trip, I was excited to tour the places that I had only imagined while reading her manuscript. When the bus pulled to the Divine Mercy Shrine, I was completely disappointed because the building looks out of place and washed in tacky modern style! It just doesn’t go with the beautiful, historical myriad of classic architecture known in these European countries.  I entered the shrine and the bare white walls made my heart sink.  As I moved deeper into the building following the pilgrims, I noticed that we were entering a simply decorated chapel dedicated to Saint Faustina.  The chapel had been evacuated for our use, Father would celebrate Mass here.  As he got ready in the sacristy, I knelt in front of the altar and touched a relic of Saint Faustina. I closed my eyes and imagined her speaking to Jesus, and he revealing the painting of the Divine Mercy to her.  I saw her kneeling and talking to him lively and he responding.  This image made me smile.  This image made me desire this level of intimacy with God.  I was lost in thought and could feel tears streaming down my face because I knew that God desires the same with me.  During Mass, I thanked God for giving me so many blessings – especially to bring to life the books I have read.
The Inside of the shrine.  The chapel where they have the original painting and the body of Saint Faustina are off limits to photos. Below the outside of the shrine.
Leaving the shrine we headed to an area with a little more history, the convent where Saint Faustina lived.  The guide pointed to the window where her room was located, the same room she died in.  Then we were led into the chapel of the convent where the original Divine Mercy painting sits above the tomb of Saint Faustina.  I went to the very front and knelt right in front of the image and I couldn’t imagine Jesus more beautiful- though Saint Faustina tells us he is.  I also was surprised because the rays that come forth are red and white- sometimes in replicas I have seen them to be red and blue. I remained kneeling until I was tapped on the shoulder indicating that my time was up.  I took with me the message that long ago attracted me to this image, “Jesus, I trust in You.”  I want those five words to be my comfort and refuge because sometimes I can so easily doubt in His providence. 

As I got on the bus, I was delighted by the many blessings that I had received in just one day!  For a book nerd (like myself) nothing gives more pleasure than bringing a book to life.  Usually I have to settle for a movie remake of a novel, but in this case I was walking into the pages written years ago by a real Saint about true events.  A woman who loved God in goodness and in sickness and who’s legacy is to do the same, to say and mean with complete confidence, “Jesus, I trust in you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment