Monday, May 1, 2017

I Will Be Traveling

In my lifetime, three Pope’s have led our Catholic Church; yet, as a revert and one who dabbed in Evangelical Christian churches – it wasn’t until Pope Francis' papacy began that I started to open my heart towards what it meant to be led by the successor of Peter. I had been conditioned to think that scripture is sufficient and the only, real path towards truth. So, the whole idea of being led by a Pope was a little confusing.  Upon my return to the Catholic Church, I continued my walk knowing that God would reveal the truth in things that I didn’t quite understand about Catholic theology in His own time.  In 2013, when Pope Francis was elected- I was fascinated because he spoke Spanish and was from a Latin American Country.  He was one of us.  Then he took the name after Saint Francis of Assisi and I was head-over-heels-in-love!  Pope Francis helped me understand my faith more deeply and to have a real esteem for my church leader.  He became part of my family, someone I care for deeply; but this respect and admiration transcended beyond the person to the office of the Pope.  His predecessors now (like Pope Francis) pointed directly back to Peter and to Jesus himself!  Thus, when John Paull II was canonized a saint, I shared in the happiness of the occasion because the universal church had become my family.
While growing up, in my home I often heard about John Paul II – my family and relatives considered him a saint long before he was canonized.  Yet, I really didn’t share this opinion until Pope Francis showed me the way to Jesus and along the path I met Saint John Paul II.  He’s a saint that I entrusted with a really impossible prayer and through his intersession I believe a miracle occurred.  God granted my prayer request.  Thus, when my parish announced that a group would be visiting Poland, after prayerfully considering it, I signed up because I want to experience the country where this saintly man came from.  I leave this Thursday for eleven days with a group (mostly retired folks).  I promise to check in (when possible) and to return with great stories and special moments that have inspired my ever growing faith.

Every year I like to take a trip because I love to travel.  Since my return to the Catholic Church my trips are generally faith inspired because I really enjoy visiting sites that are of great importance to my Catholic heritage.  Father will be coming with us (this is the second time I get to travel with him) he also likes to arrange trips with our parish community often.  Thus, I will be in good hands.  I am hoping to do some reading and writing during our commuting.  In addition to, soaking in the sites, history and really enjoying the moments of prayer and reflection.  Please pray for me and I will be praying for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment